Finally did it

Discussion in 'General Chit-Chat' started by MattNH, Dec 27, 2015.

1. MattNH

MattNH Well-Known Member

I was a 3 sport high school athlete, played Div III lacrosse and I used to run 10k's. Then I started traveling for work and got fat over the next 20 years. I was really fat, 6' 1" and at the max I was 285lbs. Then at age 42, I was diagnosed with stage 3 colon cancer. I did chemo and radiation, had a bowel resection with a temporary ileostomy. Then 6 months of heavy duty chemo followed by the ostomy reversal. That was through 2013 and at the end I was down to 205lbs. I went for size 44 waist pants to 36, I needed all new clothes and neck size went from 18 to 16. it took all of 2014 and most of 2015 to get my brain back and to figure out what I could eat with my modified anatomy. But over the past 6 months I have started to put weight back on and I can feel it. I need to exercise again.

So I did it, I have a new gym.

[​IMG]

My oldest son and I are taking classes. I know I will stick with it, it's not just running or lifting, it's aerobic plus footwork and technique. My goal is not to become a boxer, but to get stronger, get my wind back, take some weight off and stay in my size 36 pants.

2. SWO1

SWO1 Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporting

Good luck with the gym. Hope you get to where you want. Pullin for ya !!

3. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Lifetime Supporting

Yea...good luck Matt !!

A worthy endeavor...all you got in this life is your word and your health...don't give either away lightly.

4. greyhawk50

greyhawk50 Well-Known Member

Sounds like a plan. Wish you much success and better health.

5. FOUR4D4

FOUR4D4 Moderator Moderator

Good luck start slow and pace your self

6. dads81-DL

dads81-DL Well-Known Member

Keep up the great work.
    I haven't been on here in quite some time, due to my job I got 2 years ago. I drive expediting OTR.
    Prior to getting the job, I lost over 135 pounds in 6 months. Lean protein diet.
    Since the job, I've started packing it back on . Belt notches kept getting more and more towards the end of the belt.
    32 days ago, I went back on the diet. No fast food joints or restaurants. All my meals have been cooked in the Sprinter Expediter Van. Not sure how much weight I've lost, but I'm down 2 belt notches.
    If this last fat guy can loose weight, anyone can.

7. Gumpy

Gumpy AKA Richard Prestage

I wear a size 32, but a 34 is so comfortable that I buy a 36!!
    Hey dads, long time no see. How are things going for you?

8. straightshooter

straightshooter Well-Known Member

135 lbs in 6 months.WOW
    If people will just cut out high sugar, heavy carbs, and HFCS they will lose weight. It is a proven fact low fat diets don't work. It's the sugar and HFCS that is packing on the pounds. Have you ever seen so many young fat kids? We seldom had soda pop in the fridge as kids. Now the schools have vending machines for soda pop.
    Driving for a living it is easy to pack on the chubby handles.
    I read diet pill labels and all I have seen say, if you take our pills, cut down food portions and exercise you will lose weight. I lmao at that because if you did the latter two and left the pills in the bottle you would lose weight.
    I eat no processed foods, well except a pizza now and again, low carb and only sugar is from the natural food itself.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2016
  9. dads81-DL

dads81-DL Well-Known Member

Doing good. The OTR job keeps me away 5 -6 weeks at a shot.
    Got my son Savage Axis 30-06 a few months ago and a Smith and Wesson M&P Shield 9mm gor Mrs Christmas. I'm hoping to pick up a pre safety Marlin 336 35 Rem from a buddy. Just not sure if he's ready to sell. Lol but he's thinking on doing so. :)

10. MFAdmin

MFAdmin Administrator Staff Member Administrator Moderator

Good luck keeping the weight off!

I dropped a ton recently and it's been hell keeping bellow 200 but I bounce just right over the line from time to time.

11. 28Shooter

28Shooter Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporting

I need to lose weight too but your diet was a bit more than I'm looking for. Good luck Matt -glad you're still with us!

12. MattNH

MattNH Well-Known Member

Had a session yesterday, I'm sore in places I didn't know I had. Getting better at jumping rope but my wrists hurt from the heavy bag work