Finally, some consistency

Discussion in 'Other Guns' started by hombre243, Sep 2, 2015.

1. hombre243

hombre243 Well-Known Member

I built the KY rifle a bit over a month ago and I am really impressed with how it shoots. It is my 3rd Kentuck and the second one I have built from a kit.

I have tried all the Pyrodex styles and the rifle does not like any of them. It almost likes Select but I have to scrub the bore between shots and then use a spit patch, not a lubed patch if I want any kind of accuracy.

I got some Schuetzen 3f Black Powder and I think it is very good. Much better than any Pyrodex load. But it is still not totally uniform. It has its moments but there is always a flyer. This blackpowder is finicky. I have to swab the bore and make sure the bore is dry, and then use a spit patch. No big. Saves money on Bore Butter. It is somewhat more accurate than the other powders but I am not satisfied yet.

I got a couple of the Mag Spark nipples on Gun Brokers and after more than 4 weeks I finally got the nipples replaced and headed for the range.

Shooting at 25 and 50 yards I am hitting a 2" bullseye consistently. Next trip to the range I have to take a file to whittle down the front sight. I am 2" low at 25 AND 50 yards but all shots are on the lower border of the bullseye.

Oh, I switched powders too. The Mag Spark nipples are designed for Blackhorn 209. I recommend this combination for sidelocks. I am also going to try it in my other guns. If I can bring the balls up 2" @50 yards I will be satisfied.

I fired all five shots in this group and started with a clean bore. I did not dry or wet swab between shots. The group slants from left to right but it did not progress exactly that way. The shots actually started at appx. 6:00. Second shot is far left of the string. The last shot is second to last and I don't remember which was shot 3 and 4. But all broke the border of the bull. I think a light swab job between shots will tighten the groups.

Hopefully Blackhorn will help me with some better shots with the Wolf and the Kodiak Magnum.

Deer season is coming up in October. Whichever smokepole shoots best will be my deer rifle. And I got 2 tags this year. Wish me luck.

PS In the second target, the #1 shot was a first shot test to show me where the first one will go with that load. It is the Schuetzen 3f load. 4 of the shots in the upper group...(5 shots, with one hi flyer) are wet swabbed between shots and a spit patch used. The topmost shot is a flyer, fired after only a quick dry swab. But all are acceptable for deer hunting. Appx. 2+ MOA group at 50 yards...4" at 100 yards...all good enuff fer deer.

I really like this Kentucky.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 2, 2015
  2. MattNH

MattNH Well-Known Member

Good built, good shooting, good luck filling the freezer.

3. SWO1

SWO1 Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporting

Slide those groups a hair right and you will be dangerous............:eek: Good looking rifle and GREAT SHOOTING.

4. hombre243

The initial shot was centered but low. I am thinkin the slidin to the right will happen if I do a light swabbing between shots. I think trimming down the front sight a hair will raise the center of the group. I would like to keep this traditional...kinda, but I may look at some better sights. These primitive sights are really hard to see.

But, I will use them this year. Maybe if I hunt next year I will get some better sights.

I will make another range trip soon, but squirrel season opens here Saturday. I want to try to get a few of them little rats with the KY. Just like I used to do back when I had good eyes.

5. FOUR4D4

FOUR4D4 Moderator Moderator

All of them shots say "Dead Deer"

6. hombre243

Let's just hope they no speak with forked up tongue...right?

7. greyhawk50

greyhawk50 Well-Known Member

That's a nice group, especially with original iron sights.
    And, a project rifle like that gives you reason to visit the range. ;)

8. hombre243

I agree...it is mandatory that the rifle be tested and loads experimented with so the shooter can learn what the rifle likes best, and what loads are most effective against whatever target one chooses to consider.

I could stop and be ok with what I have, but I know that one more step can be taken to make the rifle a bit more accurate...filing the top of the front sight will raise the elevation and that is what I need.

I also need to take a few more days to practice with the loads I am using, and also pump it up a notch or two to see if the rifle likes a little more go-power. It will show me what it likes and I will hear what she says.

I owe it to the game I hunt to make every effort to find the very best and most efficient load, so the animal does not suffer unnecessarily.

There is no satisfaction in a wounded animal escaping to die out in the woods. I am not a trophy hunter. I hunt deer for meat but a big buck is a prize to anyone. It is my duty to take an animal humanely, and then make use of the meat and whatever parts I can find use for...or give the parts I don't want or need to someone who has a need or a use.

This sounds like one big soapbox and maybe it is but I won't hunt for the fun of killing and when I lose my taste for wild game I will quit hunting.

This rifle has brought me more pleasure already, than all my other Muzzleloaders, even the one I built in the 80s. I can only admit this...I am enjoying the experience much more now because I am much more mature in my feelings and attitudes about the rights and wrongs of what makes a hunter (moi`) tick, and I am more in tune with the spirit of the animals I hunt.

In this sense, animals are the same as people. They are living creatures; Their lives are beyond calculable value.

Using an inferior tool to harvest them does not give them the respect they deserve and my efforts to make this rifle the best shooter in the rack is proof of my heartfelt love for man and nature.

Man and beast alike: All are gifts from a Loving God.

9. hombre243

Grey,

In keeping with original sights but adding some innovations to make the old style a bit better, I ordered some new sights for ol Viola`. (intentional mispronunciation of Voi`la:rolleyes:) I found 2 that are within my budget and are a bit adjustable.

Both have a set screw to snug up the dovetail and either a set screw or an old bb gun style rippledy type elevator for elevation. One came from Traditions and is the older more traditional style and the other one came from Buffalo Arms and is a Williams. The Williams is an adjustable dovetailed platform with a replaceable sight module available in different heights, and an adjustment set screw for elevation. I also got a new front post sight for just in case. I think the best part of these sights is that with the dovertail screw, it is easily adjustable for windage. Just loosen the screw and give the sight a tap and when it is in the right position (in the bull) apply some gun tite and tighten her down. See what you think...

Attached Files:

10. FOUR4D4

I have had this for over 25 years yet to shot it.

CVA Hawkins 50 caliber

[​IMG]

11. hombre243

Well, make sure the bore is clean and has no obstructions, grab your...some .490 balls and some 2f powder of some kind...some #11 caps and some shooting patches and go make smoke. No sense letting that gorgrous gun go to waste.

12. FOUR4D4

I have e everything for it I should get one of the nipple wrench/pick.

Attached Files:

13. hombre243

Necessary item for sure. Also, if you do not have it already, anti seize grease for the nipple and clean out screw. Looks like you have a barrel type bolster; make sure to turn out the cleanout screw before removing the nipple, then tighten it back in after resetting the nipple. I have stripped nipple threads by forgetting to do that.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2015
  14. FOUR4D4

I know its only cosmetic but the patch cover wouldn't stay on im trying to fuugure if it can be fixed with what I have around here or just live with it

15. hombre243

Maybe there is a hinge pin missing. Have you looked at some fine wire brads, or even some fine copper wire? Maybe that is all that you need. Or, the little hinges just got bent out and the pin if there is one fell out. There should be a way to secure it. I don't use them. On the first Navy Arms KY I had, it had a long patchbox with a long cover. Nice to look at but I could get the patches out of my possible bag easier, and I didn't get the muzzle near the mud. Traditions now sells the same guns as CVA did. The kits and old time shooters come from the same Spanish factory. You may be able to get a Traditions Part if they look alike.

16. FOUR4D4

See the screw and metal strip on the top that feel out and is missing. it never stayed on when the two pieces were there.

Attached Files:

17. hombre243

Looks like that is the spring that holds the cover shut, and holds it on to the main part of the patchbox. I am lookin at Jedediah Star site for your part

18. hombre243

19. hombre243

Last edited: Oct 13, 2015
  20. FOUR4D4