First it was coffee...

Discussion in 'General Chit-Chat' started by hombre243, Nov 19, 2012.

1. hombre243

hombre243 Well-Known Member

I was just wondering, does anyone out there homebrew beer, or make real homemade wine?

I started the hobbies middle of last year. I can't drink much because I am diabetic, but I make wine and beer at home. The red wines are supposed to have a positive affect on my glucose level. I think though it is mind over matter. When my mind don't matter its over...or shumpthin like thast. Jush a little more hunney...thash righ...jush po...zzzzzzzzz

2. Hyphenated

Hyphenated Well-Known Member

I use to home brew beer, but just decided it was too much work. If you have the time and space you can make some amazingly good beer. I use to design and print labels for special occasions. I would show up at parties and not tell anyone it was home brew and nobody knew because the bottling looked professional. Half way through the event I would tell them it was home brew and people were stunned.

3. hombre243

I never considered it a lot of work because I don't do it the hard way. I just get some cans of extract and some additives and make a couple gallons at a time. It doesn't take a lot of space. But I do make wine and it does take some space. I really have enjoyed it. I am not very creative, so doing something that is a bit out of the ordinary makes me feel constructive. Not to mention the fact that some of it really tastes good.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 19, 2012
  4. Shooter

Shooter Administrator Staff Member Administrator

I don't, but most of my friends do.

I'm just not a drinker, never have been.

5. hombre243

Occasional once in awhile but sometimes I forget...drinker

I was a 25 hour a day drunk for 23 years and just up and quit on July 4, 1995. Then last December (I think...maybe a month or so before...) I got this screwey idea to make home made wine in a pepsi bottle and it worked. Not the best tasting but definitely better than always drinking water and pop.

That's when a friend told me about making home brew, and I tried that and he liked what I made better than I did so I gave him all but a gallon. I had made 3x2 gallon batches and gave him 5 gallons. Now I am back at it seeing just what other styles taste like. I already made 3 new friends who gave me their numbers...and said for me to call them when its is ready to drink. That's when I told them it is $6.50 per quart.

However, since I told them the price, I haven't heard from any of them. I wonder if they will show me a few good hog hunting places in exchange for some beer.

6. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Lifetime Supporting

Never tried homebrewing...but I DO like beer !!

7. FOUR4D4

FOUR4D4 Moderator Moderator

I like beer and red wine just cant drink it any more,what a drag it is getting old.

8. greyhawk50

greyhawk50 Well-Known Member

No beer brewing for me.
    I drank numerous truck loads of beer as a young man but lost the desire over 30 years ago.
    A little wine is good for the stomach and a super shot of Canadian Whiskey is even better - but never to excess. ;)
    I like my whiskey "Cowboy Style". Straight up at room temp. and in a glass. Just like in the old TV westerns. No mix and no ice.

9. hombre243

Cowboy style

I drink milk...in a dirty glass.:)

10. Shooter

We do have a brewing site within our network.

HomeBrewTalk.com.

It's a great site. Huge.

11. hombre243

HomeBrewTalk

I do believe I am a member there...or at least spent some time there. Great place for info.

12. Shooter

It is. They are a good group.

13. jcw

jcw Member

Dad and I used to make homebrew. We stopped when the local micro breweries started opening up. The local pub is just a mile away They have at least 5 regular taps and up to eight rotating taps. Take a couple of 1/2 gal. growlers down there and can drink all of that good draft at home.

14. Shooter

What do they charge to fill up the growlers?

15. jcw

jcw Member

Depends on the beer you want Austin. For Blue Moon they get 11.00. The most I've paid was 15.00. at Skagit River Brewing for one of their brews. I thought they were a bit to enthusiastic on their pricing. Most of the bars and all of the local breweries sell their own growler jugs. You can use any of them anywhere and most will fill the one gallon glass juice jugs for you. I have a tap set up using soda syrup containers (cornileus kegs). That's what we used for bottling when we were making our own home brew. Been thinking about getting a price on 4 1/2 gal. of beer and using that for my keg set up for BBQ's, games, etc. at the house.

16. FOUR4D4

FOUR4D4 Moderator Moderator

My neighbor made some cherry wine

17. Bucky

Bucky Well-Known Member

Hombre
    One of the boy's at work has his own "still", and his whiskey recipe is awesome.
    Which reminds me, I must get a couple more bottles off him !
    ( Hic !)