Fix for sticky 795 mags?

Discussion in 'Marlin Rimfires' started by jstange, Jun 18, 2012.

1. jstange

jstange New Member

I love virtually everything about my 795, except that sometimes the mag seems way too hard to get out.

I've heard of some people sanding something on the gun or the mag to remedy this, but what should I sand?

Or is there another approach one could take to solving this problem?

2. tCan

tCan Active Member

Do you see any wear marks on your mags or in the mag well? These might be good places to start. I don't think the mag is supposed to simply fall out when you press the catch though.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2012

3. wjjones

wjjones Well-Known Member

It sounds crazy but I use a drop of vegetable oil on a q-tip to slick up the contact points of the mag.

4. Big Shrek

Big Shrek Well-Known Member

Check the magazine well, which is where you stick the mag...take a Q-tip and check for burrs...
    fluffy cotton will pull off if there are burrs (rough MFRing areas) and show you where the trouble spots are...
    If you find rough edges, you may use some medium-grit sandpaper and work the magwell for a minute or two,
    then switch to fine-grit for a few more minutes...use fine if you find no burrs as well...a little polishing never hurts!!
    Then oil lightly and use normally...

Thing is with magwells, you want Snug so the mag doesn't jostle around and be loose and bad-fitting,
    but you don't want TIGHT so its hard to do mag changes...gotta find that happy medium.
    If in doubt of your fabrication/metal-polishing skills, seek a professional gunsmith...