Gettin ready for Deer season

Discussion in 'Hunting Forum' started by SWO1, Nov 5, 2017.

1. SWO1

SWO1 Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporting

Went out and brush hogged around the deerstand, the clearing in front and some areas off to the south side.

Shot the little Marlin Youth .308 this morning. Its within 1.5" of POA @ 90 yards. Might try the Savage or maybe not. The Marlin is a softer shooting gun and just as accurate. I only have a 9X scope on it but workable, even with my old eyes. Biggest thing was trigger pull weight. Used to shooting the Bench gun with a 1.2 oz. trigger. The .308 feels like 100 lbs. Forecast is for mid 50s for high and low 40s for low Sat. and Sun, no rain and partly cloudy. I have an any deer and a doe tag.

2. lingr

lingr Well-Known Member

Good luck Frank. Season for me opens 11/18.

squirrelhunter and SHOOTER13 like this.

3. SWO1

Hope you get yours also. Opening day here is 11/11. First 9 days are any deer, followed by a very short no antler season.

4. Gumpy

Gumpy AKA Richard Prestage Moderator

Good luck on your hunting endeavors! I've only had time to go three times so far during bow season. Shot at one but missed. Gun season starts on the 15th.

squirrelhunter, SHOOTER13 and SWO1 like this.
  5. SWO1

This morning they put in a "chance" for showers Sat or Sun. Weather to unstable with fronts moving in and out to make a best quess to far out. One thing stays the same, chilly. Good deer hunting weather no matter. My stand is dry and I got heat so am good to go.

Went by a new Meat processing business that just opened within the last month. They get $80 to process a deer and $3.50 a lb. for turning it into summer sausage. Think it is the way I will go this year. To much of a mess to work it up myself anymore. He game me a big hunk of his work and it was pretty tasty. I will have mine with Jalapenos only, no cheese. I like Extra Sharp Chedder and have it on the side.

6. FOUR4D4

FOUR4D4 Moderator Moderator

Save them backstraps are good

squirrelhunter likes this.
  7. Gumpy

Gumpy AKA Richard Prestage Moderator

My wife informed me today that she wants to shoot a deer! Now I have another excuse to buy another rifle! Something light weight and not much kick. Something like a .243(minimal) or 25cal.

squirrelhunter, SHOOTER13 and SWO1 like this.
  8. SWO1

.243 is a good choice. Another one is the .260. And of course (my favorite) the .308. All use the same case with the .243 and .260 necked down for the smaller bullet. I dont find much if any difference in recoil in the 3. Remington and Federal both make a Reduced Recoil load for the .308.

On checking the Marlin site seems they no longer offer a bolt gun in centerfire. You can always find a good used one. The youth model by Savage and Winchester are good picks in new guns. Good luck to your wife and hope you find her a good gun. Be careful, she just might show you up ....My 14 year old grand daughter shoots the .308 with no problems.

9. FOUR4D4

FOUR4D4 Moderator Moderator

10. SWO1

Gonna be freezing in the morning. I took my heater up to the deer stand around 1320. I sat down and looked around to see what it looked like with a lot of leaves gone. About 130 yards out front, right on a cross fence line to the east he had his head down, tail down and grazing on grass. A nice size buck. Couldnt make out how many points at that distance, no glass with me, just that he had a good rack. Hope he is around tomorrow. Its said the deer lay down at midday, so a lot of hunters take a lunch break usually from 1100 till around 1400. I have shot my two biggest bucks at midday.

Gumpy, squirrelhunter and SHOOTER13 like this.
  11. lingr

lingr Well-Known Member

Post a pic when you get him on the ground.

12. SWO1

If he's there tomorrow lingr. Shootin times are 0619 till 1810 tomorrow. Will be in the stand before 0600. Hot coffee and the heater going. I will dress warm enough but have to keep the hands/fingers warm. I have 10 rounds left from last year I loaded. Same ones I shot the other day to check 0. 150gr Sierra flat base , 3031 powder, Federal Brass and Federal BR primers, commin out at around 2800 fps. The brass is fire formed to the Marlin chamber and neck sized only with taper crimp. It was hittin about 1.5" high and dead on left/right at 90 yards so out to 130 should be right on, and 1.5" high at 50 yards. I'll have one in the tube and one in the mag.

13. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Lifetime Supporting

Good Luck Brother...!!

Pennsylvania Seasons 2107 - 2018:

BLACK BEAR (Statewide): Nov. 18 & 20-22. Only 1 bear may be taken during the license year.

DEER, ARCHERY (Antlered and Antlerless) Statewide: Sept. 30-Nov. 11 and Dec. 26-Jan. 13. One antlered deer per hunting license year. One antlerless deer with each required antlerless license.

DEER (Antlered and Antlerless) WMUs 2B, 5C and 5D: Nov. 27-Dec. 9. One antlered deer per hunting license year. An antlerless deer with each required antlerless license.

DEER (Antlered Only) WMUs 1A, 1B, 2A, 2C, 2D, 2E, 2F, 2G, 2H, 3A, 3B, 3C, 3D, 4A, 4B, 4C, 4D, 4E, 5A and 5B: Nov. 27-Dec. 1. One antlered deer per hunting license year. (Holders of valid DMAP antlerless deer permits may harvest antlerless deer on DMAP properties during this period.)

DEER (Antlered and Antlerless) WMUs 1A, 1B, 2A, 2C, 2D, 2E, 2F, 2G, 2H, 3A, 3B, 3C, 3D, 4A, 4B, 4C, 4D, 4E, 5A and 5B: Dec. 2-9. One antlered deer per hunting license year. An antlerless deer with each required antlerless license.

========================

SQUIRRELS, Red, Gray, Black and Fox (Combined): Oct. 14-Nov. 25; Dec. 11-23 and Dec. 26-Feb. 28 (6 daily, 18 possession).

RABBIT (Cottontail): Oct. 14-Nov. 25, Dec. 11-23 and Dec. 26-Feb. 28 (4 daily, 12 possession).

HARES (SNOWSHOE RABBITS) OR VARYING HARES: Dec. 26–Jan. 1, in all WMUs (1 daily, 3 possession).

PHEASANT: Male only in WMUs 2A, 2C, 4C, 4E, 5A and 5B. Male and female may be taken in all other WMUs – Oct. 21-Nov. 25, Dec. 11-23 and Dec. 26-Feb. 28 (2 daily, 6 in possession). There is no open season for taking pheasants in Wild Pheasant Recovery Areas, except within the Central Susquehanna Wild Pheasant Recovery Area, as authorized by executive order.

BOBWHITE QUAIL: Oct. 14-Feb. 28 (8 daily, 24 possession).

RUFFED GROUSE: Oct. 14–Nov. 25 and Dec. 11-23 (2 daily, 6 possession).

WOODCHUCKS (GROUNDHOGS): No closed season, except on Sundays and during the regular firearms deer seasons. No limit.
    ========================

FURBEARER HUNTING SEASONS:

COYOTES: No closed season. Unlimited. Outside of any big game season (deer, bear, elk and turkey), coyotes may be taken with a hunting license or a furtaker license, and without wearing orange. During any big game season, coyotes may be taken while lawfully hunting big game or with a furtaker license.

RACCOONS and FOXES: Oct. 21–Feb. 17, unlimited.

OPOSSUM, STRIPED SKUNKS and WEASELS: No closed season, except Sundays. No limits.

BOBCAT (WMUs 2A, 2C, 2E, 2F, 2G, 2H, 3A, 3B, 3C, 3D, 4A, 4C, 4D and 4E): Jan. 13-Feb. 7. One bobcat per license year. Licensed furtakers may obtain one permit each.

PORCUPINES: Sept. 1-March 31, 2018. (3 daily, season limit of 10).

14. SWO1

Shooter13, whats with "cant take groundhogs on Sunday" .....:eek:

SHOOTER13 likes this.
  15. squirrelhunter

squirrelhunter Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporting

Good luck to all.
    I got my spot on the ground cleared of leaves and the briers cut down right in front of me,our season starts the 18th,my 30-06 is ready to go.

SHOOTER13 and SWO1 like this.
  16. SWO1

Its 0500, 38 deg with a faint breeze. Gear is all layed out and ready to go. Will go in a few, make a thurmos of coffee and head up to the stand about 0545. Shootin time begins at 0619 here, half hour before sunrise. took the heater up yesterday and watched a good sized buck grazing about 130 yards out. Will see what shows up today. Im meat hunting so dont really care, doe or buck, I have both tags. Temp will probably drop some before sunup. Back later with the report.

17. SHOOTER13

A leftover from the "Blue Laws" of Pennsylvania...which use to mean..."NO hunting on Sunday." Chances are this particular wording was never wiped from the groundhog hunting regulations...and is no doubt NOT enforced anymore.

18. squirrelhunter

I remember those days of no hunting on Sunday.

SHOOTER13 likes this.
  19. SHOOTER13

Yea Jerry...didn't make sense to me back then, as most people only had off from work on the weekends...unless they took off a day during the week.

20. squirrelhunter

That was religion in Government which they're suppose to be separate. ;)