Good News for our State.

Discussion in '2nd Amendment' started by greyhawk50, Nov 28, 2012.

1. greyhawk50

greyhawk50 Well-Known Member

2. FOUR4D4

FOUR4D4 Moderator Moderator

Awesome......I don't carry because I have to,but because I can.

3. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Lifetime Supporting

What changes were made grey...?!

4. FOUR4D4

FOUR4D4 Moderator Moderator

5. greyhawk50

In a nut shell;
    1. Changes to automatically honor other states licenses, similar to a driver's license. (more open reciprocity)
    2. Eliminates the "demonstrated competency" requirement for 2nd and future CHL renewals, making CHL training similar to a hunting license. (key word, "renewals".)
    3. Fixes the definition of a "loaded gun" to match the commonly accepted definition. (I believe it legalizes a loaded magazine as long as it isn't in the gun? Previously not legal.)

6. greyhawk50

This is all well and good but we need additional reforms.

Not that it matters but, I currently don't have a CHL. It is a personal choice and, at least for now, I chose not to take the course. The option is available if/when I change my mind. It's like Open Carry. Just because I can doesn't mean that I should. However, I applaud anyone that chooses to exercise their right to legally carry. Personally, I believe that the whole CHL fiasco is an infringement on the 2nd. amendment in the first place.
    Some of the reasoning;
    Aside from registering at the Sheriffs Department as a gun owner and being finger printed (small matter) there are double standards built into the DNR laws. As an example, a hunting related firearm violation without a CHL is a misdemeanor but with the CHL, it would be a felony. As a felon, you lose all gun rights. Like I say, we need additional reforms. Not to mention the 1-2 million dollar liability insurance that should be carried.
    We live in a pretty safe area and I avoid areas with moderate to elevated risk. We have the Castle Law in this state and I am prepared (mentally and physically) to defend my home.
    As I struggled with the choice of putting my trust in God or in a 9mm, I chose God. I spoke to a close christian friend with a law enforcement background and he advised me against the CHL at this time. There were other factors but these are the major ones.
    Nuff said.

7. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Lifetime Supporting

Thanks Grey...

...and yea Four, I looked at the link.

8. SWO1

SWO1 Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporting

I applaud your choices grey. You made them and are at peace with yourself. I am so thankful you have the choice and its not made for you.

My wife and daughter have recently expressed the desire to take handgun training and aquire their CCW. My daughter I can fully understand, but my wife is a Total suprise. Circumstances the last month or so have brought this about. I will begin Saturday in an instruction program for them. I am really at odds with myself in doing this. Not that it dosnt need to be done but how to go about it. I have taught this many, many times, but to Marines and not two of the most important people in my life. I lay awake at night thinking about it. Its gonna have to be a cross of my avatar ( R. Lee) and a Husband and Father. I just hope I can be in character at the right times in the right places....thats what worries me.

9. greyhawk50

I've followed your post for many months. I see a mix of knowledge, wisdom and compassion. I understand your concerns.
    If your wife and daughter have gleaned anything from their life with you, I'm sure that they will recognize your heart felt desire to blend compassion with the severity of the subject matter. I'm sure that as you explain every detail, they will see that your main goal is to provide for their safety and well being.
    I've never sat under a Marine Instructor but for the last 9 years of my career, I was an OSHA Safety Instructor. My student always knew that my main purpose was for them to return home at the end of each day without incident - be it them or an innocent bystander.
    Nobody can do any more than their best. I'm sure that you will give nothing less.
    Let us know how it goes.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2012
  10. greyhawk50

Having given this some thought, only one suggestion comes to mind;
    As a Marine instructor, I believe that you train GIs that have been molded to take and follow instructions, often without question.
    To be successful in teaching your wife and daughter, you need to expect many questions. They have a "need to know card". They are just wired that way. My experience tells me that they don't get it until all the question get answered. Be patient my friend.

11. SWO1

SWO1 Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporting

Thanks for the advice grey...Its APPRICIATED. I hope they do have questions, LOTS OF QUESTIONS.