Gun Show this Weekend !!

Discussion in 'General Chit-Chat' started by SWO1, Feb 22, 2013.

1. SWO1

SWO1 Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporting

It's an R&K one. The biggest sponser in this area anyway. In the next town over (23 miles) I will go to look for .357, .40 bullets, and .40 S&W dies, small Pistol Primers. Is there anything else I MUST HAVE....Probley so, but wont know what it is till I see it........:D My wife told me about it......That to me says.....GO FORTH AND BUY. It opens at 0900. I usually get up by 4 so think I will go early, Maybe 5.....if I want to get in by noon.

2. oldbrass

oldbrass Well-Known Member

Hope you find those elusive 40s

3. FOUR4D4

FOUR4D4 Moderator Moderator

4. greyhawk50

greyhawk50 Well-Known Member

I wish you much success. Let us know how it goes.
    My son is going to a gun show somewhere this weekend. Not sure where. I wasn't invited.
    My favorite show is on the first weekend of the month. I'm planning on going then.

5. squirrelhunter

squirrelhunter Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporting

Good luck finding what you want.Look out for stampedes.

6. SWO1

Back from the gun show. A very fruitful trip. Only about half as big as the one in Springfield. No big dealers, mostly indipendent sellers. The Big reloading guys wernt there. I started on one side and went from booth to booth. The next to last seller I hit paydirt. I should have started on that side....LOL. I got --

Set of RCBS carbide .40 S&W dies...New ------3 die set for $30

500 .357 158 gr. SJHP...Majtech FOR $22 a Hundred

200 .40 S&W 180 gr. Flat Nose. He had a bunch of them but I really wanted JHPs so just got 200.

NO PRIMERS....NOWHERE TO BE FOUND.....:(

Gun prices were pretty good overall. For like ones my dealer still beats the prices. Ammo was about 10-15 % higher than what he sells for also.

.22 lr was everywhere. From $55-65 a 500 brick. .223 was stacked to the ceiling. At well over $1 a round in 500, 1000, and 2000 case lots.

7. FOUR4D4

Sounds like you hit pay dirt

8. greyhawk50

Sounds like a good day. I enjoy the shows that have independent sellers.
    Thanks for the report.

9. oldbrass

oldbrass Well-Known Member

glad you scored..$55-$65 a brick for .22LR ???? Holy Moly I`m glad I`m stocked up

10. FOUR4D4

Like I'm saying if they cant take or guns their going after or ammunition. I hope this dont give them any ideas:eek:

11. SWO1

The bullets were $3-5 more than what the big retail places advertize...BUT they are out. I'm thinkin this is a result of horder buying and re-saleing at a profit. My gun shops shipment of .22 is going for $40 a brick. Same stuff a couple months ago was $30. He showed me his invoice and his supplier jacked up the price that much. His profit is still the same.

When Walmart has it Federal 550 bulk .22 is still $21. But if Federal can get twice the $$ from other retailers and move all they can make, thats why WallyWorld AINT GETTIN MUCH. You know how they demand ROCK BOTTOM PRICES from manfacturers.

With the amount of .223 that was there I dont think there is an overall shortage...again few have it all and are making a killing. I would venture to say just at this small show there was 100,000s of rounds.....if ya got the bucks.

12. Spoon

Spoon Well-Known Member

They may already well have that very idea in mind :mad:

13. Shooter

Shooter Administrator Staff Member Administrator

I've talked to a few people reselling right now. They bought years ago and are making a small profit selling to people now.

14. greyhawk50

I considered selling my mod. 60 and the 1200 rounds of Stingers that I've had laid back in my "stash" but changed my mind.
    With my eyes the way they are, I don't shoot rifles much any more and the Stingers aren't recommended for semi-auto actions. If I sell the mod. 60, I would replace it with a bolt gun or a Henry and would need the Stingers. If I kept the mod. 60, I would need to replace the Stingers with high velocity 22s that are hard to find right now. :confused:
    So for now, I'll just hold tight and see what happens. I have 1 1/2 boxes of bulk Federal along with 150 Rem. Mohawk and 100 Rem. Target loads (about 1000 rds. total) but won't shoot them until the situation improves.
    For now, shotgun shells are available and I can always dig out the smoke pole if'n I feel the need for a fix.

I'm going to a local gun show this next Saturday. The supplies were good last month so I'll see if I can pick up a few items for my wish list.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2013
  15. Shooter

Shooter Administrator Staff Member Administrator

The people I know selling are saving plenty of rounds for themselves. It's not smart to sell most or all of your ammo.

I'm not selling any of mine personally. Heck, I'm hardly shooting it till prices drop.