Handloaded Lever E 35 Rem

Discussion in 'Lever Action' started by lever addict, Jan 10, 2012.

1. lever addict

lever addict Member

I have a Marlin 336D. Tomorrow I will shoot it for the first time. I am handloading the Lever E powder and bullets at the recomended dosage on the bottle! Anyone else try this? Let me know.

[​IMG]

2. oldbrass

oldbrass Well-Known Member

nice rifle, never used the le ammo, be sure to let us know how it shoots.
    How many grains are you loading ??

3. 1895gunner

1895gunner Well-Known Member

That there is a sweet looking rifle LA! I'm gunna have to get one someday (again).

1895gunner

4. Shooter

Shooter Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Very nice!

How long have you had it?

5. lever addict

lever addict Member

Well I finally made it out to the range. I had about 10 rounds of LE factory ammo which shot fantastic out of my rifle. I was surprised my handloaded LE ammo shot to the same POI as the factories and just as accurate. It was pretty windy while shooting and it was only in the high 20's, but I was impressed! I use Rem brass, 200gr LE bullets and the LE powder. I used the suggested amount of powder on the jug. More testing to come.

6. FOUR4D4

FOUR4D4 Moderator Moderator

Nice! What is that scope Leopold? What model VII. and power?

7. Shooter

Shooter Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Impressive you getting out there like that in that weather.

I hide from the cold.

8. greyhawk50

greyhawk50 Well-Known Member

Now see what you have done. :eek:
    I'm going to be forced to buy some LE powder and give it a try. ;)
    If you get a chance - after the weather breaks - post some range report pictures. Pleeaase.

9. lever addict

lever addict Member

Its from Lepolds custom shop. It's a VXII 1.5-4X28 variable scout scope. It's now for sale if interested. I need more magnification! Also the XS rail and peeps!

10. Gaterskiner

Gaterskiner Well-Known Member

I was going to ask why you wanted to sell that scope. Wish I had the spare money.

11. hunter5567

hunter5567 Well-Known Member

I was wondering about that myself about loading the FTX bullets in Remington brass instead of the shorter Hornady brass. I loaded some FTX in Remington brass and seated the bullet to the top of the cannelure and it seems to work fine. I smoke blackened a bullet in a dummy shell loaded like this and could detect no rifling marks.
    I guess its not as critical loading the FTX in the 35 Remington vs. the other calibers loaded. I noticed the Hornady 200gr RN bullets would extend a lot further into the rifling when loaded to the cannelure than the FTX bullets.
    Does anybody have any loads using R7 powder? I'm using 33grs with the FTX and the Remington bullet and it shoots fine. I'll be trying the same load with the Hornady 200gr.

12. lever addict

lever addict Member

Hey there Hunter. The LE brass from Hornady is one of the few that is regular length, not short! The recipie on the LE powder keg that is given states Rem brass! I was a bit shocked about that! Well it shoots great! No constant trips to the range trying to nail down a load for my .35!