Have you ever crafted you own butt?

Discussion in 'General Marlin Discussion' started by Shooter, Dec 30, 2011.

1. Shooter

Shooter Administrator Staff Member Administrator

I've seen some people on other sites who carve their own butts.

Anyone on here ever try it? I'm looking for a new project and have thought about doing it many times.

2. oldbrass

oldbrass Well-Known Member

Never tried it, I have basic wood tools IE skill saw drill router. Do you need special tools ???

3. axxe55

axxe55 Well-Known Member

there are many of the stock makers that sell blanks for custom wood stocks that can be found online. how the custom gun makers take the blank and make the inlet, is probably the hardest part. my guess would be a lot of work with some wood chisels and such, maybe a router.

4. texaswoodworker

texaswoodworker Member

I'm currently making a stock for my old sxs. I used a bandsaw to cut the basic shape, a spokeshave to remove most of the excess wood and get the final shape, and I'll use rasps and files to fine tune the shape before sanding it. It has taken a lot of time to do this, but it is worth it. Luckily, I have the old stock to use as a reference. I had to buy some special tools to do the checkering, but they were pretty cheap for just the few I needed. (It had very simple checkering). It is a fun project if you like to work with your hands.

5. Big Shrek

Big Shrek Well-Known Member

P90X will get your butt in shape in no time ;)

6. Shooter

I'm not sure, never done it myself.

I will be trying it at some point although I'm exceeds my ability.

Pics? What kind of wood is it?

I'm sure a router will too.

LOL.

7. JohnnyLoco

JohnnyLoco Well-Known Member

I found jumping squats and running to work very well.

8. Shooter

Running? You mean like fast walking?

I have a couple of friends who have crafted with some high quality woods.

They say the first couple are always a a little rough.

9. AR_hillbilly

AR_hillbilly Member

Crafted my own.................SOITENLY NOT!! But my wife tries to adjust with her foot ever once in a while! :D

10. axxe55

axxe55 Well-Known Member

i just received my new Boyd's stock yesterday for my savage rimfire. looks like they used some sort of router to carve out the material where it's inletted. you could probably use the router to remove the bulk and adjust the final dimensions with wood chisels, scrapers and sanding.

11. Fomdiddle

Fomdiddle Well-Known Member

I bought an unfinished stock from Boyds that was very rough everywhere but the inletting which was very good. I sanded for three days but wound up with a beautiful walnut stock for my XL7. It was so beautiful and I worked so hard on it that I didn't shoot it so I sold it to someone who wood (sic). Fom:)

12. Shooter

I don't know if I could sell mine if I did all that work to it.

13. Leverdude

Leverdude Member

They use duplicators commercially. I'v seen my smith do it with a milling machine & its probably possible to use a drill press if your careful.

But I'd just go buy a Boyds, precision or Treebone semi inletted stock. I'v used all three & cant see why ones better than the other for standard walnut. Treebone had alot of different fancy wood to choose from if you wanna get something real nice.

14. mrvalpyro

mrvalpyro Active Member

well I am currently taking an original model 60 stock and shaping it to my likeing..I.E carve down the grip, cheek rest, add to the butt. Don't got the mulah for the grown up tools, but i can see what it will look like in my head and my knife an hand sanding can still do the job..just might take a lil longer...

15. axxe55

axxe55 Well-Known Member

check out Boyd's Gunstocks. very good stocks and they have some to fit the M60. their prices are reasonable and the shipping is pretty fast too. i have used two of their laminated stocks on two of my rifles and they are really nice. they have something that might suit your needs, check them out.

16. mrvalpyro

mrvalpyro Active Member

I have seen them, I just don't like them but that's my opinion. I have got to handle one at my LGS just to "flashy" for me...
    I like their tacticool but after the DIP trigger set, and fire sights, I'm kinda low on funds...
    and my dad's is a wood worker.. I think i got this.

17. mrvalpyro

mrvalpyro Active Member

Hey if I can turn a $90 pawn shop gun into a $30-$75 profit why not?

18. Shooter

Any pics of your progress?

Fair enough. I have a hard time letting go of projects.

19. mrvalpyro

mrvalpyro Active Member

yes some pics will post entire process when complete. about another 4-5 days.

20. Shooter

Sounds great. Look forward to seeing the pics.