Hearing Protection...

Discussion in 'Firearm Accessories & Gear' started by SHOOTER13, Feb 26, 2012.

1. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Lifetime Supporting

What does everyone here use for hearing protection at the gun range...?!

I use the Surefire EP-4 Sonic Defender Plus system...

[​IMG]

EP4 Sonic Defenders® Plus protect your hearing without interfering with your ability to hear routine sounds or conversations. Their triple-flange stem design fits larger ear canals and provides a Noise Reduction Rating (NRR) of 24dB. Sounds, at safe levels, are allowed to pass through into the ear canal, while potentially harmful noises (above 85dB) are reduced to safe levels via a proprietary design that incorporates the patented Hocks Noise Braker® filter. EP4s include attached stopper plugs, which can be inserted for further protection and blocking out lower-level noise, like that heard on a plane, where hearing ambient sounds or conversations isn't critical. The right/left color-coded Sonic Defenders Plus are made from a soft but durable, hypoallergenic polymer and are ergonomically shaped, with an adjustable-stem design, providing a secure fit, all-day comfort, and extended product life (3 to 6+ months, depending on usage and care). And their low-profile design means they can be worn while wearing a helmet or mask, or while using a phone or headset. Available in clear or black.

2. Shooter

Shooter Administrator Staff Member Administrator

3. Hyphenated

Hyphenated Well-Known Member

4. duster066

duster066 Well-Known Member Supporting

I spent 25 years in aviation maintenance and I'm a private pilot. I found the most effective protection and the most comfortable is the foam ear plugs. The soft plastic plugs and headsets leak noise. I spent a lot of time without any protection and have always forgotten it before every race I've run, so I have done a lot of damage particularly to my left ear. So I don't mess around with anything but foam plugs. They form to the ear and fully seal out the sound.

5. FOUR4D4

FOUR4D4 Moderator Moderator

I'm glad I can read.After 30 years of working for Generous Motors I have suffered some hearing loss.Hearing loss is permanent.Protect your hearing.;)

6. duster066

duster066 Well-Known Member Supporting

Yup it is permanent, and it adds up slowly so you don't "hear" it happening. I have constant ringing in both ears, but it's so bad in my left ear I don't notice it in my right. I have what I call incidents, times when I loose all hearing in the left. It can last for hours or days. Since I got anal about using ear plugs it doesn't happen very often anymore. But I know one day it'll happen, and not ever go away. It's easy to always keep a pair of foamies in your pocket and every nook and cranny where loud noise happens.

7. Shooter

You don't have issues with earplugs rubbing?

I hate it. Whenever I use them I end up scratching my ears raw.

Edit: Think I just got the joke.

8. Hyphenated

Hyphenated Well-Known Member

Yeah...I was teasing. Four years around F-4's and another 25yrs in the airline business didn't do my ears any favors. I have worn plugs and muffs and I guess I prefer the muffs for the convenience. Most of the plugs I have used seemed to take quite a bit of time to fit just right. When I'm shooting I can take the muffs on and off to talk with no problems.

9. greyhawk50

greyhawk50 Well-Known Member

I too have hearing loss and tinnitus. After 45 years of shooting and 40+ years of Industrial Maintenance. The last 9 years of employment, I was the Compliance Safety Coordinator at the plant where I worked. I have 2 sets of custom molded ear plugs that were samples from vendors. Along with a variety of ear plugs and ear muffs, I try my best to save what hearing that I have left. When I was young, invincible and foolish, I didn't see the need for ear plugs. Boy was I wrong. For the most part, I can ignore the ringing but sometimes it really bugs me. The worst thing is the fact that I have trouble hearing the tiny voices of my granddaughters, and their words are always important to me. :-((

10. axxe55

axxe55 Well-Known Member

i too after many years of working on large trucks and heavy equipment have some hearing loss. plus all those years ago of shooting without any hearing protectors, i now have a problem understanding what people say, i can hear them talking, but have a hard time understanding what they are saying.

depends on what i'm shooting as to which type i use. some of mine i use the small disposable type and some i use the over the head muff style.

11. wjjones

wjjones Well-Known Member

:D... Now that is funny..:D.

12. wjjones

wjjones Well-Known Member

I use to use ear muffs but with the 22s I think they are not needed. I have a little cheap pair of ear muffs I bought at harborfreight for $2.99 they work just fine.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2012
  13. Bucky

Bucky Well-Known Member

G day Axe
    After many years (35) of no hearing protection, yes my hearing is going. But since 1983 I have worn quality ear muffs, and there has been no more loss.
    I have tinnitus
    (permanent ringing, sometimes as loud as an umpires whistle)
    Since I was about 6 or 7
    When hunting I wear no hearing protection, but sighting in, or checking various loads I do wear muffs.
    Cheers
    Bucky

14. SWO1

SWO1 Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporting

The last 15 years I have become the 6 mill dollar man. First it was the eyes. Glasses..not bad. Next it was partials...startin to get up there now...:( I've had my hearing-aids for two weeks now....big $$...:mad: Whats next ???

Watchin those commercials on TV JUST HOPE we dont have to get a set of those Claw Foot Tubs they sit in......Those things are EXPENSIVE........:eek:

15. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Lifetime Supporting

Now...THAT's funny !!

16. Windy

Windy Well-Known Member Supporting

I started out wearing muffs when shooting. They are rated 32 NRR. When shooting indoors, my .357 magnum revolver is pretty darned loud. I have started wearing foam earplugs under the muffs. I don't want any regrets down the line.

I only have handguns but I have heard some who shoot rifles that the muffs get in the way of a good cheek weld. Has anyone found that to be true?

17. SWO1

SWO1 Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporting

I don't find it the case at all....Then again I guess it all depends on where your ears and cheeks are located at on the head.....:D

18. Bucky

Bucky Well-Known Member

Don't happen to me !

19. Shooter

I regret not using them sooner. I'm a lefty so my right ear seems to suffer from hearing loss more than my left.

20. axxe55

axxe55 Well-Known Member

Bucky, i know exactly what you mean! i have lost the clarity of sound over the years. just wasn't something i thought about many, many years ago.

SW01, the knee's and hip's are next! don't worry, i am probably not far behind you!