Hog hunting

Discussion in 'Hunting Forum' started by matthewb075, Jan 28, 2015.

1. matthewb075

matthewb075 Member

I have been hog hunting only two time in Texas and have not see a hog is the hog population not as bad as they say? And why do they cost so much?

2. hombre243

hombre243 Well-Known Member

Hype to get your money. I found the same thing when I was there.

3. straightshooter

straightshooter Well-Known Member

Hogs are such a problem in TX that TX pays a bounty on their ears. Hogs are much less active during the daytime. Some areas it is common to see hogs on the roads even in the daytime hours. LOL same as alligators.
    Many of the ranchers set up with the hunting companies because they make good money on the leases and their property is safer due to hunt guides than just anyone hunting on their property.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2015
  4. matthewb075

matthewb075 Member

I actually do live in Houston how do I find those land owners that will just let me remove hogs

5. hombre243

hombre243 Well-Known Member

What I found out when I moved to Texas is that when you ask a local about hog hunting, they just say we take care of it ourselves. I was there a year and saw 2 dead hogs on the road. None out wandering around and no damage was anywhere that it can be seen on any farm or ranch. I lived all around small ranches and farms where livestock was fed or grazed. No hogs or sign.

If hogs are a problem, the problem lies in the hype that people are seeing through when they see the price of a hunt on any land, guided or not. If the hog problem is getting worse, it is because greedy people will not let hog hunters on without paying exorbitant fees to hunt them.

6. straightshooter

I live 26 miles from Houston western city limits and land owners near to me had advertised in the small local paper wanting people to come and either trap or shoot the wild hogs on their property they had such a problem with them. The Brazos river is real close to their property. Along the river bottoms also have a lot of hogs. A guy I worked with kept his freezer full from hunting the bottoms.
    They have a yearly hog hunt in Washington county that reportedly takes several hundred hogs during that hunt. Washington county is around Brenham, TX which is another 25 miles west of me. Also around Katy and Sealy I have heard there are plenty of hogs. The Brazos River runs a long ways and the hogs and gators are there for sure.
    I imagine the locals have their little clicks and outsiders take a while to be taken in under their wings. Farmers are a little leery about letting strangers hunt their property due to damage to their livestock and property. Some hunters are just plain inconsiderate as well as stupid.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2015
  7. matthewb075

matthewb075 Member

I am very respectful when hunting I even pick up my brass if I can find it but that's because I reload and brass is hard to find but how could I get in to one of those clicks

8. straightshooter

You can try going to some of the small gun shops and ask about the local hunting of hogs. You could also Google hunting clubs in certain areas. Contact them and they could steer you in the right direction to get involved.

9. matthewb075

matthewb075 Member

Ok thanks for the info