Home remedies

Discussion in 'General Chit-Chat' started by oldbrass, Jan 31, 2012.

1. oldbrass

oldbrass Well-Known Member

Every winter I seem to get the flu or some kind of crud. A few months ago a friend of mine sais he never gets sick cause his grandmother told them to eat fresh garlic everyday. Well I started eating a clove of fresh garlic everyday going on 6 weeks now and have yet to even sneeze.I slice thin pieces and eat it thru the day. I`m not sure if its the garlic or not but I haven`t gotten sick. There may be some truth to this natural stuff.

Any of you have any natural remedies to share ??

2. FOUR4D4

FOUR4D4 Moderator Moderator

Soda crackers work for upset stomach

3. Hyphenated

Hyphenated Well-Known Member

Hey oldbrass...you prolly haven't had any vampires at you place since you started eating the garlic.

4. Shooter

Shooter Administrator Staff Member Administrator

I use ginger for upset stomach.

In regards to cold and flu though I take zinc and high doses of Vitamin C to ward it off but I always get it anyways.

5. JohnnyLoco

JohnnyLoco Well-Known Member

Stop blowing your nose so hard. It causes the bacteria to back up into the eustachian tubes and grow into a sinus infection.

6. oldbrass

Nope, I also have a box of winchester silver tips for those rascals

7. Gaterskiner

Gaterskiner Well-Known Member

Dewars on Ice cures most ills.

8. duster066

duster066 Well-Known Member Supporting

A guy told me once a fifth of Jack will stop a cold dead in it's tracks. I'm not so sure how well it works, but every time I try I get a headache for days. :confused:

9. oldbrass

I can`t drink liquor anymore, it hurts way to much

10. duster066

duster066 Well-Known Member Supporting

I don't drink like I did 20 years ago. I never had any real trouble with drinking, but I did drink a lot at one time. It's nice to save the days of payback for special occasions only.

11. Shooter

Never heard that. I have a sinus infection now that's lingering.

12. Rooster59

Rooster59 Well-Known Member

It works 'cause no one will get close enough to you to give you their germs. :D

Using a humidifier in the winter time has warded off our sinus issues since we started using it 12 years ago. Fewer sinus infections from dry nose and stuffiness. Everything has to drain........

Just after I started driving my younger brother and I visited my paternal grandmother for an extended summer stay. The afternoon before we left for home on a 6 hour drive she called down to the corner grocery store in her small town and authorized them to sell us a six pack of beer. We didn't drink then but you never argued with Grandma. An hour before bedtime she made us drink one beer each. Said we would sleep like a baby and be rested for the trip. It worked.

Same grandmother always made youngsters drink what was about a shot of homemade wine in a cordial glass with a meal at Thanksgiving or Christmas. Claimed it would help our digestion. I think she was right. Or....she wanted all us heathens to take a nap after dinner so it would be quiet for a while! That worked too. There really IS more than one way to skin a cat.

She didn't cotton to people drinking often, but she knew how to use the alcohol as a tool. Medicinal purposes.

My maternal grandmother taught my mom to put a little maple syrup in our bottle if we got constipated while at nursing age. Works like a charm. Still does to this day but I take it on waffles or pancakes now.

13. Shooter

Not for the flu, but I just heard chewing clove helps with tooth pain.