Homemade Firearm Cleaners & Lubricants

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing' started by FOUR4D4, Mar 7, 2012.

1. FOUR4D4

FOUR4D4 Moderator Moderator

2. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Lifetime Supporting

I've tried Ed's Red before...it worked great !!

3. Shooter

Shooter Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Do not consume or use as a mixer. Keep them away from pets and stupid people.

Great line.

4. FOUR4D4

Read and heed all directions!!!!!!

5. axxe55

axxe55 Well-Known Member

stupid people shouldn't breed! it breeds more stupidity! Four, you know that's why they are stupid, they can't read or follow directions!

6. duster066

duster066 Well-Known Member Supporting

I'm currently using a brew I whipped up after reading the Ed's Red formula. It's equal parts ATF and mineral spirits, about an 1/8 part engine oil, and just a touch of dot3 brake fluid. I added the brake fluid because of what I've seen it do to paint, and figured why not. It actually works very well on lead fouling and leaves a very light oil sheen when dry.

But I think most common mild industrial solvents will clean guns fine, assuming you test for plastic damage first. I just watched a you tube vid made by a revolver smith, and he uses and recommends charcoal lighter fluid. I use straight mineral spirits when I want to soak parts. It works great.

7. FOUR4D4

Just buy accident I was trying to remove some surface rust from a rifle of mine and decided to try brake fluid. Yes it did remove the rust and the bluing dumb. I have heard that brake fluid would ruin a paint job,But I learned how to remove bluing also. What was I thinking?

8. axxe55

axxe55 Well-Known Member

so you found a cheap and easily available blueing remover! cool. Walmart in my town is open 24/7, so if i needed to remove blueing, at 3 am, and didn't have any, i could get some brake fluid at WalMart!

9. FOUR4D4

:cool: COOL