How about a range report thread? Any manufacture not just Marlins

Discussion in 'General Marlin Discussion' started by Truckman, Apr 6, 2015.

1. Truckman

Truckman Well-Known Member

Weather was good enough to get out to the range, finally!
    My rifle, model 60, Boyds stock, McCarbo spring kit, Simmons 3-9 scope.
    Ammo was Federal Champion hollow points.
    50 yds, the 100 yd targets hit way low, so I didn't post them.
    Light breeze, about 55*, sunny,:cool:
    I need to tweak the scope mount, not ideal for me, and of course I didn't have the allen wrench I needed.
    Other issue was, if I squeeze the forearm and barrel, the barrel noticeably drops down into the stock, a 1/16" or so, and the forward screw drops down. Is that normal? Would bedding correct that?

Attached Files:

2. FOUR4D4

FOUR4D4 Moderator Moderator

Good shooting :)

3. FOUR4D4

You asked for a range report thread here it is. I don't think we have one,and I don't think anyone will complain it is now a sticky

4. MattNH

MattNH Well-Known Member

I can't get Federal Champion to cycle in any of my Marlin semi-autos. Although you mention hollow points, haven't tried those, just the Champion 510 and the American Eagle 5022 40 gr LRN versions.

For the barrel stock motion - I have refinished factory stocks on all mine, so I can't comment on movement with your Boyd stock, other than none of mine move when pushed.

I still have frozen berms and snow on the ground, it will be a awile for outdoor range shooting.

5. FOUR4D4

For a 22lr to cycle you want at least ammo having 1200+fps

6. Truckman

The only issue I had with cycling was a dud round. Ran it through twice and no go. Otherwise it cycled perfectly with every shot.
    Will try other ammo another time.
    It is supposed to be about 1250 at muzzle.
    I'm going to remove the stock and see what I need to do to get it to sit better.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2015
  7. FOUR4D4

I think just a piece of shim stock would help with the barrel, and try moving the barrel all the way forward or all the way back. one or the other might help it did with mine

8. MattNH

MattNH Well-Known Member

Shot at my new range today for the first time solo. Went about 10:30 am and had the place to myself. Sighted in four 22 Marlins at 20 yards, which is the most I can do indoors. The first was the Model 70 that I cut the stock down and added tech sights. Not one single adjustment needed. Next was a 995 that I swaped out the receiver and barrel with a Model 60, so technically it is a detachable magazine model 60 with a walnut stock. Also added tech sights, 2 clicks up and one to the left. Third, my Model 56 levermatic with an old Simmons scope that came on the 995. Wasn't even on paper, took a look and the scope was a good 1/8" cocked to one side. A few adjustments, and then about 50 clicks down and 5 to the right and I have a winner. Last, Glenfield 25 with a Williams WGRS rear sight with a Marbles front. Had to move the elevation up a bit and I think I want the 1/32" inch bead front. The 1/16" is too big.

Also ran 50 rounds through my Ruger 22/45 and Single Six.

Fun morning. Really needed to get the 70 and the 995/60 ready for the Appleseed I have with my 11 year old on April 18-19.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2015
  9. Gumpy

Gumpy AKA Richard Prestage

Sounds like a wonderful time to me. How do you like your Levermatic? I have one in .30 caliber carbine and its my favorite rifle!

10. MattNH

MattNH Well-Known Member

My dad bought the Model 56 Levermatic from a hardware store when he was in high school. It was used, just leaning up in a corner. It's the first edition of them with the steel receiver, nio serial number or date code, so 1955 or 1956. He seems to remember paying $25 for it with one magazine and a skinny Marlin fixed 4X scope on it.

This is the first gun I ever shot. The scope finally gave up the ghost with a broken reticle.

The old hypothetical question...if you could only keep one gun? My only answer every time is that Marlin 56 Levermatic, even with the worn bluing on the barrel and hairline crack in the wrist. I love that rifle and have killed 10x more squirrels and varmints with it than every other gun combined.

A Levermatic in 30 cal has got to be a lot of fun to shoot.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. Truckman

Very nice!
    I've just about decided I need a lever .22. I've always wanted a Henry, so that's what I've mostly been looking at.

12. MattNH

MattNH Well-Known Member

The beauty of the Levermatic is the short throw. I don't have to move my thumb from the top to cycle it. Much quicker on follow up shots.

They are hard to find. I've seen 3 57M, tube fed version in 22 Mag. All of them went for more than $350.

13. SWO1

SWO1 Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporting

Not a Marlin but a range report none the less. Yesterday morning I stripped down the Savage Mark II and TOTALLY cleaned it. Stripped the barrel of all lube. polished up the chamber and spiffyed up the trigger housing. Back to the bench at 1800. I put thru 37 rounds of my practice ammo thru it before the barrel was re-seasoned and settled down. Then 10 rounds of my match ammo. Shot a 247. Last 15 shots it started to come around good. I will shoot one more practice session on Sunday and then the Club Match Monday.

Attached Files:

14. MattNH

MattNH Well-Known Member

Scope sighting in day at the range.

1960 or 1961 (no serial number or date code stamp) Marlin 80G with a Simmons 22Mag 3-9X scope set at 4X, 25 meters, prone with a sling. Five shots of CCI Standard Velocity.

[​IMG][​IMG]

1998 Marlin 60SB with a Simmons 22Mag fixed 4X scope, 25 meters, prone with a sling. Fourteen shots of CCI Standard Velocity.

[​IMG][​IMG]

15. MattNH

MattNH Well-Known Member

1974 Glenfield 25 with a Centerpoint 3-9X scope, set at 4X, this one if off the bench, 25 meters, moved up, up, down. CCI Standard Velocity.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Lifetime Supporting

4/29/15...10am...Olympic Arms CAR-97...5.56x45mm...100 yards...iron sights...bench rested:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Used this to get on paper...

[​IMG]

Winchester WT-631 Zoom Spotting Scope

• 15~45x60mm
    • Aluminum body with green rubber armor cover
    • Field of View: @15x 110 feet at 1000 yards
    • Field of View: @45x 63 feet at 1000 yards
    • Soft sided carrying bag/hard sided carry case
    • Weight: 2.7 lbs

17. FOUR4D4

At 10 yards free hand with my Smith and Wesson 686-1.
    I tried to make a smiley face :)

Attached Files:

18. MattNH

MattNH Well-Known Member

A 1969 Model 99M1 with original rear sight. Just the last 3 sighters, can't find the target with a nice 9 round group.

[​IMG]

Two identical rifles, a 1984 and a 1987 Model 60, both with last shot hold open feature and long mag tube. Both have the Williams fiber optic sets on them. This is the first time I shot these rifles with fiber optic sights, I like them, not as nice as an aperture sight, but way better than the factory buckhorn sight. Obviously larger groups than the bolt guns with scopes but I paid $100 for the 1984 and $75 for the 1987, refinshed the stocks, cleaned the rust off the outside of the barrel, repainted the receivers and added $30 sights to each. Rifle pics in the post below.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. MattNH

MattNH Well-Known Member

1969 Marlin 99M1
    [​IMG]

1984 Marlin 60
    [​IMG]

1987 Marlin 60
    [​IMG]

20. greyhawk50

greyhawk50 Well-Known Member

Nice targets. I really like the 99M1. Sharp little rifle. If I get the chance at the right price, I'll own one "again".
    Thanks for sharing. :)