How many vets are here ???

Discussion in 'General Chit-Chat' started by oldbrass, Jan 16, 2013.

1. oldbrass

oldbrass Well-Known Member

I`ll start....
    1986-1988 FT Campbell,KY 801st Maint BN
    1989-1991 Berlin Germany 42d Combat Engineer
    1992-1994 FT Polk,LA 5th I.D. / JRTC
    1995-1999 Grafenwoehr,Germany 94th Engineer BN
    200-2006 FT Rucker,Al B co 46th Engineer BN

2. Gumpy

Gumpy AKA Richard Prestage

USN
    72-73 San Diego, California
    73-75 Naples, Italy
    75-76 Norfolk, Va.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2013

3. SWO1

SWO1 Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporting

UNITED STATES MARINE CORPS (RETIRED)

1965-1987...Active Duty
    2 Combat tours VietNam 1966-1968

To many duty stations to remember....LOL

Civil Service (Marine Corps) Same Job...Different Uniform 1988-2003

4. oldbrass

I knew there had to be a Jarhead here somewhere

5. Hyphenated

Hyphenated Well-Known Member

USAF...1971 - 1975, Germany - Holland - Las Vegas.

6. hombre243

hombre243 Well-Known Member

Bb-64

2001-2007 I was homeless and 6 months of that was spent at the Union Mission in Norfolk. I had lunch every day at the "Letters Home" Memorial or on or near the BB-64 U.S. Wisconsin, or at Nauticus. Norfolk was a great place.

My Navy Service was short lived. I took a long enough fall to medical me out. Can't say much more than that.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2013
  7. greyhawk50

greyhawk50 Well-Known Member

Sincerely. Thank you one and all for your service.
    My military time was brief. I entered the Army in June of 1966. Was shipped to Fort Benning, Ga. for basic. While we were performing our PCPT, I had 2 preexisting medical problems surface. Consequently, I was discharged and sent home.
    I truly regret not having been able to serve. My father was a WW-II USAF Veteran. I have the highest respect our Military Personnel. Again - thank you.

8. hombre243

The spirit was willing

I know how you feel. Getting hurt on the job the first month and being sent home was a bummer for me. I found other work but I never got my green stripes.

9. SWO1

What ever the Service, length of time, It was all, or still is, Honorable Service to our Country. I'm proud and feel priviliged to be counted among your ranks.

Semper Fi

10. oldbrass

Your a Veteran, You took the oath and went for it, I`d be proud to shake your hand anyday & anywhere Mister

11. FOUR4D4

FOUR4D4 Moderator Moderator

I didnt make it past the physical because of a cough HERNIA

Last edited: Jan 18, 2013
  12. Gumpy

Gumpy AKA Richard Prestage

I don't think that wouldn't of worked during the vietnam war. Specially when your draft # was 36!! lol

13. FOUR4D4

FOUR4D4 Moderator Moderator

Ok it was a hernia

14. squirrelhunter

squirrelhunter Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporting

I tried but was rejected during the physical because of back problems.:(

15. DUTCHS

DUTCHS Well-Known Member Supporting

USNAVY. 1977/1983. Honorable discharge as an Airman...worked the flight line on the TA-4J

16. SWO1

Since we're all Vets on this thread here is an interesting artiice I came on. Read the Link and see what you think. My opinion is:

The different services all have a different MISSION STATEMENT. Each is equipted, trained, and manned to accomplish that Mission. Each in it's own right is the BEST IN THE WORLD at that Mission. Who has the best personnel...They ALL draw from the SAME pool of the finest Men and Women this Country has to offer. Any one of them trained in the culture and mission of a respective service would perform as fine as the next.

With that said I believe that ALL U.S. MILITARY personnel should have access to the finest equipment availiable and as I was always told....BOY, everything you have BELONGS TO THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA...NONE OF IT IS YOURS. Marine Corps, Army, Navy, Air Force, Coast Guard, National Guard, Border Patrol....ALL ARE THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA.

SEMPER FI

http://news.msn.com/us/armed-services-branches-brawl-over-fashion

17. hombre243

Stroke, stroke, stroke

My friend who was in the Marine Corps used to call me and say...hey, come on over. So I went. Then he would connive me into driving somewhere. Usually nowhere, just a ride.

One day I asked why I always was the one driving. He said...some things never change. It took me awhile to pick through some of his smartalek remarks but finally I remembered what he had said and it dawned on me.

I called him and said...I hope you enjoyed giving me the business as much as I enjoyed taking you for a ride.

I have known him since high school...in the late 60's. Sometimes I am a bit slow.:D

18. oldbrass

The airforce has the best chow, my neighbor in germany was an airman and took me tempelhof airfield in Berlin, It was really good

19. SWO1

CHOW....Of all I have partaken :

Worst overall......Army
    OK.....Marine Corps
    Air Force...Pretty good

BEST HANDS DOWN....Most Chief's mess (E-7,8,9) aboard ships...Even the Captain has to be INVITED. By regulations Naval and Marine Corps Officers are not fed on the Goverment tab....:p

20. oldbrass

The good thing about army chow is after discharge you can eat anything..
    SWO1 I never had the privelage to have mess on a Naval vessel, closest to a navy ship I came was loading ro-ro (roll-on roll-off) cargo ships at the port of beaumont,TX.
    The airforce was always kind enough to give us rides to our destination.