How old is this model 81?

Discussion in 'Marlin Rimfires' started by MaxSheridan, Oct 16, 2013.

1. MaxSheridan

MaxSheridan Member

I just won this Marlin Model 81 on an online auction. I have a guess at it's age, but I can't seem to find any definitive info. I figured some of the experts on here might be able to help. These are the only pics I have for now(they are from the auction). I have no info on any markings that may be on it either. Thanks in advance!

Attached Files:

2. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Lifetime Supporting

Welcome to the Marlin Firearms Forum !!

The Marlin Model 81-DL was from 1941 to about 1964...shoots .22 short / long / long rifle and the tubular magazine holds 18-25 rounds according to a 1948 Marlin print ad where it was priced new $26.95.

3. Gumpy

Gumpy AKA Richard Prestage

Welcome to the forum!! That is a fine lookin' rifle!?

4. MaxSheridan

MaxSheridan Member

Since it has a dovetail front sight, would it be safe to assume it's probably towards the earlier end of that production window? It'll be a lot easier to narrow it down once I get it here, and see whether it has microgroove or not.

5. SHOOTER13

I would suggest you give us all the info off the barrel that you can...otherwise, it's a shot in the dark.

Since you own it...describe all the markings.

6. MaxSheridan

MaxSheridan Member

I totally agree. I just thought there might be an off chance that someone could tell by some feature of the rifle.
    I don't have the rifle in my possession yet, but when I get it, I'll be sure to post all the info I can on here. It may have to wait until after a trip to the range, though!:D

7. oldbrass

oldbrass Well-Known Member

You need to send me that rifle for an evaluation, you know just to make sure it shoots good haha....On a serious note nice old .22

8. SHOOTER13