How to translate the Marlin model identifiers

Discussion in 'General Marlin Discussion' started by Blueman2, Jan 24, 2013.

1. Blueman2

Blueman2 Member

New to the forum and new to Marlin (don't have one - yet). I have been casually interested in the 336 models for decades. When I look at various ads for used guns, I never know what I am looking at or what to look for. Is there a translation guide to the various 336nn models?

Do the model codes distinguish between rifle length or carbine, caliber differences, stock wood differences, metal finish differences, tapped for scope etc?

Thanks for any info or pointers anyone can provide.

Blueman2

2. Hyphenated

Hyphenated Well-Known Member

Welcome aboard....there's a whole lot of info needs to be covered to answer your question. As a matter of fact it would take a whole book...that book is called Brophy's.

There are literally hundreds of models, numbers and letter combinations. Can you narrow down the field for us as to what you like or are trying to find, example...older model, new model, short barrel, long barrel, caliber choice?

3. oldbrass

oldbrass Well-Known Member

welcome blue man , what caliber are you lookin for? There`s a lot of options for that to..

4. Blueman2

Blueman2 Member

I am specifically interested in the 336 models, pistol grip stock and probably caliber .30-30. I would lean more to older models (40's through 70's) unless there is a reason to consider more modern. Not too interested in the Remington built models.
    Don't have a specific use or application in mind, just always liked the looks of them. I prefer simple over ornate, but walnut over birch. Don't need checkering unless it significantly improves the handling. I would even consider a matte finish or parked if there is such a thing.

I'll have to look for Brophy's book, thanks for the tip.

5. oldbrass

oldbrass Well-Known Member

Mine is the 336w with the birch stock its a great rifle. I picked it up for $150 at a gun shop 10 years ago with 8 rounds fired thru it. Helps to know the shop owner HAHA

6. 1894

1894 Well-Known Member

Seems you may be looking for the various model codes since the date codes are easy to find.
    Shamelessly copy / pasted from here :

http://www.shootersforum.com/marlin-336-lever-guns/76628-models-letters.html

7. Hyphenated

This is a very good list with a few minor errors. Most notably is the fact that the 336 and 1895 are two separate platforms.

The 1895 is or was chamber for the .444, .45-70 and the .450. Also the receivers on the .308 and .338 have a different barrel thread pattern than the other 336 models.

8. 1894

1894 Well-Known Member

So if I delete that last paragraph , it is a good start ?

9. Blueman2

Blueman2 Member

Awesome, exactly the kind of info I was looking for. So If I see a 336C with any other modifier, I can assume it is still a 20" carbine with a full length mag tube? For example a 336CS?

Thanks.

I presume I should still get Brophy's book though.

10. Hyphenated

1894...This is a great list!!!

11. Plumber

Plumber Well-Known Member

The 336 CS would be a 1983 or newer. 1983 was the first year with a cross bolt safety.
    I have the Brophy book, but it's not 100% accurate.

12. Tony123

Tony123 New Member

I just bought a used .30.30 marlin. I can I tell what the date of mfg is. Thx

13. Blueman2

Blueman2 Member

Google search on Marlin date codes. Any number of sites with the info. Basically the leading digits or characters of the serial indicate the year of manufacture. Some sites are more precise than others. Some sites suggest that a date code may span across more than one year. Others state that a date code is one year only. No idea which is more correct