Hunters!

Discussion in 'Hunting Forum' started by Gumpy, Jan 15, 2015.

1. Gumpy

Gumpy AKA Richard Prestage

We haven't heard from many hunters this year. I haven't been able to go at all this year, but what about y'all! Post some pictures and tell us about your season!

2. hombre243

hombre243 Well-Known Member

I got a squirrel. It took an hour to get the blood off my whitewall.

Seriously...not a good season. My days off did not work with the dry days, windless or nearly windless days and the squirrels knew what gun I was using. If I had my rifle they were track stars. If I had my shotgun they were 10 yards out of range. I still have a couple weeks left for squirrel, and 1.5 months left for rabbits. No luck with deer. Totally disappointing. Iowa sucks.

I am thinking about moving out.

3. Gumpy

I thought Iowa had some big deer?

4. hombre243

Iowa has big deer and 3 million ??? hunters know it. It is 90% public hunting and farmers are tight with permissions. Hunting deer here is more hazardous to one's health than hopping freight trains.

5. squirrelhunter

squirrelhunter Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporting

I finally after 5 years got to go squirrel hunting again and got my rabbit and deer spot back,even though today was my first day rabbit hunting in 5 years and the dog straight lined the rabbit out of hearing range and we had to go try to find her. I also got a couple more coyote spots but I haven't made it out yet. I did get 2 squirrels and a button buck so so far not all is lost. Hopefully in the next 2 weeks I can get a shot at a rabbit and hopefully before the season's over get a couple coyotes or foxes.

6. Gumpy

Season is winding down. Good luck, Mon!

7. hombre243

I have been waiting patiently for the deer seasons to end so I could go coyote hunting. Maybe even finish out January with a few more squirrels, and February with a couple rabbits. Then it will be coyotes and groundhogs until squirrels open again in the fall.

But, I had to stay in this week. My lil Brother died Tuesday morning and I just have been staying in. He lives in Arkansas and I just cannot make the trip. I have been trying to contact him because I wanted to wish him Happy Birthday on the 8th of January. Found out Tuesday he was in the hospital with breathing problems. (something he had problems with when he was a baby) From what I was told he died from either a clot that broke loose or a heart attack. His daughter called me and told me and I have been trying to piece all the info together.

I am so damn sad because he has not wanted to even talk to me since 2001 when my Dad died. We were best buds before that and I will never know why he decided to stop communicating. I figured I should just stay home for a week and let it soak in. I miss the hell out of him.

Hopefully tomorrow I can at least get out for a walk in the woods. Temps have been excellent but I felt like crap and tomorrow starts the down trend again and somewhere in the 30s will be as good as it will get. It has been in the mid 40s for a couple days. I may even just go to the range and make noise. I need to get out and get some air.

I will let you all know if I get anything more than a paper rhino.

8. Gumpy

I'm sorry to hear about your brother, Hombre. Specially since y'all had grown distant. I'm the same way with my parents. I love em, but I have to do it at a distance!
    I'll put you on my prayer list. Keep you're chin up, Mon.

9. greyhawk50

greyhawk50 Well-Known Member

So sorry to hear about your loss. Words aren't much help at a time like this. Just know that we are grieving with you. I'll add you to my prayer list.

10. squirrelhunter

Really sorry to hear that hombre..:(

11. hombre243

I apologize. I didn't mean to hijack the thread.

12. Gumpy

No apology needed Hombre. That's a needed detour, not a hijack! Thanks for confiding with us.

13. Bucky

Bucky Well-Known Member

Too bloody hot "down under" mate !

And too many snakes

Sent from my iPhone using Marlin Forum

14. squirrelhunter

Snakes are good for target practice aren't they???

Last edited: Feb 6, 2015
  15. Bucky

Bucky Well-Known Member

Can't shoot them when "stalking", Mate, as I don't wanna scare off Bambi.

There is a theory about snakes, and I try and use it as often as possible
    "Move slower than the snake, and constantly checking the ground."
    I do this, and every second, or third step, I check for movement ahead

An that's exactly the best way to Stalk, anyway.
    Climbing up steep ground is the worrying bit, when often they are at chest height, or when stepping over a log, so I go around it.

We do what we have to, to get within range of Bambi, and accept the risk, without being stupid about it. The end of summer, and into Autumn is when snakes are most dangerous, as it's their "mating time".

These days I carry an EPIRB, with an inbuilt GPS in it, to send my location, in case of snake bite, or a broken leg (ect).
    Or if it "ever turns to shit", I can hit the button, and just wait for the Chopper.

16. squirrelhunter

That sounds like a good idea. Snakes is one thing I didn't like about Kentucky when I lived down there,they had copperheads,here in Indiana you don't have to really worry about poisonous snakes,there's been some reports of cottonmouths but very rarely. I don't like poisonous snakes and spiders.

17. Gumpy

We have a bunch of poisonous snakes here. Cottonmouth, Copperhead, pygmy rattlesnake, Ground rattlesnake, timber rattlesnake, Highland Moccasin, Water Moccasin, etc. You grow up being used to looking for them!

Last edited: Feb 7, 2015
  18. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Lifetime Supporting

Well...the Pennsylvania squirrel and chipmunk population is down a few more this week:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. FOUR4D4

FOUR4D4 Moderator Moderator

I got up early and climbed a tree in October all I got was a 6 point with a bow 9 yards away.:D

Last edited: Feb 9, 2015
  20. squirrelhunter

Yummy........well not the chipmunk lol.