I am beside myself and ready to eat nails

Discussion in 'General Chit-Chat' started by hombre243, Mar 2, 2015.

1. hombre243

hombre243 Well-Known Member

I made it to the range today and that new Mossy shoots like a dream...or did. It is going into the hospital tomorrow to remove two obstructions that have gotten stuck down the pipe and I cannot drive them out.

I loaded some Trail Boss loads for fireforming and the first 50 loaded with FMJ bullets from XTreme Bullets worked just finer than frog hair.

BUT the copper solids I got seem to have needed an extra oomph that they didn't get, and 2 of the pills got stuck in the bore. I thought I saw dirt fly when I fired first round...it flipped a clay bird over 75 yards out. Then the guy next to me started shooting at the birds too and I saw dirt flying all over the hillside so when I fired and saw dirt fly again, I shucked out the empty and fired another. This time the guy was reloading so when I did NOT see dirt fly I checked down the bore and SONOFA...B no light at the end ot the tunnel. I packed up and went home.

When I got home I ran a wood dowell in thru the chamber, and about 8-9" from the chamber I found the stuck bullet. It pushed easy...until it hit the one close to the muzzle...about 4 inches from the Muzzle. Now I know I have 2 stuck bullets and the first one is froze solid. Now I have to pay to have them surgically removed. I hope the low pressure loads did not ring the barrel on the inside. The outside looks good. The cases came out dirty but not filthy. Being copper and low velocity I don't think they obturated much if any and most of the smoke and gunk went out forward.

Time will tell. It is a heck of a shooter though, here are 2 targets I saved.
    The round target is a 10 round group shot at 50 yards. I didn't have access to anything farther away. The Dirty Bird oblong target has 2 groups. One 5 shot group and the bullseye 3 shot group. I let the fellow who was shootin next to me pop off 2 rounds in between my 2 groups. The 3 shot bullsyse group shows 2 holes. I must have adjusted the sights right. Now I hope it still shoots after surgery.

Attached Files:

2. greyhawk50

greyhawk50 Well-Known Member

Very nice groups. I hope the surgery goes well. Sorry to hear about your problem.
    I've had that happen (only 1 bullet) a couple times. Fortunately, I was able to break them loose and drive them back out through the chamber.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2015

3. hombre243

I may have a solution to this without going into hock. I will post it all if it works. Or if it doesn't. I will post some photos too. It could get interesting.

4. greyhawk50

You might try a stiff dowel that sticks out of the muzzle by 2"-3" to break them loose. Then maybe you can push them the rest of the way out?????????
    You might also run an oily patch in the barrel behind them so if they do break loose, they may move easier???????????????

Last edited: Mar 2, 2015
  5. hombre243

I tried from both ends. It is soaking in Kroil oil so tomorrow I will try again. I need a new steel rod...wood wont work. But I think I will try something different.

6. greyhawk50

Just be careful not to damage the barrel. Maybe wrap a couple layers of electrical tape around the steel rod to protect the rifling. Just a suggestion.

7. hombre243

I use a 3/16" rod. If I put tape on it it will be too thick to go into the bore.

I have a different idea. If it works I will post the video.

8. straightshooter

straightshooter Well-Known Member

I was checking into ringed barrels and saw a post about it that stated sometimes using a shell with no bullet can blow the jammed bullet out of the barrel. My luck it might blow up the barrel.....well it might have gotten the jam cleared.
    I was surprised reading that using light loads can cause ringed barrels. I was surprised to read that a light load could cause a problem.
    The post said a barrel with to much oil can cause it, shooting lead bullets then followed by FMJ can also cause it.
    The reason I was interested in this is because I have a Colt 32 revolver with a ringed barrel. The post said a ringed revolver may not be as bad as a semi auto ringed barrel for creating further problems. I haven't had any problems shooting my Colt. Dang if I didn't notice it till some time passed after buying it though. I really should bag rest test fire to see if the accuracy is way off due to the ringed barrel.
    I will be watching Hombre to see what you do with it.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2015
  9. hombre243

I will be using a wax wad bullet with a couple grains of Trail Boss, a barrel filled with water and a remote firing string. Hydraulic pressure should push the bullet out with no troubles. Because the water is nearly uncompressable filling the bore behind the bullet with water should make for a whole lot of hydraulic pressure and spread the pressure evenly down the barrel and push the bullet out. It may take 2 tries but I have all day and can load 2 for the road.

This was caused by using too few grains of Trail Boss and too hard bullets. Copper bullets need more powder, at least compared to FMJ low vel loads using bullets of the same weight.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2015
  10. hombre243

Here is where I saw this method to get the lead out. I just hope it works with copper bullets.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6SiW1Tk0XV8[/ame]

11. MattNH

MattNH Well-Known Member

Good luck on the removal and stay safe doing it.

12. SWO1

SWO1 Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporting

Looks like it shoots good. Hope you can get it squared away without damage to yourself or the rifle.

13. hombre243

The troubles I have had and the troubles of the seller as well as the ffl guy, and now this...makes me want to believe the rifle is jinxed. If it blows up, so be it. But I think it is just my turn to have problems and how I handle them will tell me whether it is me or the gun that is jinxed.

I am heading to the store in an hour to get the stuff I need to blow it up...or...blow the bullets out; whichever comes first.

14. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Lifetime Supporting

Damn shame...be careful Hombre !!

15. hombre243

Total success! It took 2 trips, 2 different powder charge weights, (one charge of 2 gr Trail Boss x 3 tries...no go; Then I went home and made 6 more rounds this time with 6 gr of Trail Boss. I was careful to seal out the water this time.

The first round this morning took on water and totally misfired. The next two were too weak. Thus, a heavier load. 6 gr Trail Boss in 6 cartridges. The second session took 20 mins, 3 shots and the pic below is the result.

Now I will clean it all up, check for damage, which at this point, there is none visible; then reassembe with blue Loc Tite. Everything was totally shook loose from hammering the bullets.

If I get time over the weekend and the weather behaves I will do some more groups and maybe enter the shootout.

I am satisfied this fiasco has turned out to be a non issue...for now.:confused:

Attached Files:

16. SWO1

SWO1 Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporting

Glad ya got em out. Check it over good and go out shoot it. I dont think I would be using any of those solid bullets any more ..... :p

17. hombre243

I won't be using them for low power loads thats fer shure.

18. Gumpy

Gumpy AKA Richard Prestage

We all learned from this, hombre. Glad it worked out for you.

19. hombre243

Lessons learned won't be forgotten.

I now know how to use Trail Boss properly when loading coppers. If I had known to add a couple grains this would not have happened. Coppers are harder than lead core bullets so they need more Wheaties.

According to the Hodgdon site where it instructs on the use of Trail Boss for low pressure loads, it is acceptable to load a case up to where the powder touches but is not compressed by, the base of the bullet.

If compressed, Trail Boss gets wound a little tight and may have pressure problems. If loaded without compression, Trail Boss is safe to load a case full and seat the bullet...and if you want to...you can weigh that charge, round off the numbers and use that recipe. It seems weird but Trail Boss is only finicky under compression, and all calibers are safe when using it.

20. MattNH

MattNH Well-Known Member

Good news and good job.