i am looking to change my unbalanced scope for a scout scope like a leupold and info

Discussion in 'Lever Action' started by moparman1911, Sep 19, 2012.

1. moparman1911

moparman1911 Well-Known Member

i have a 1895 stainless steel large loop lever with black laminate furniture and xs sites i put a illuminated retical 3x9x40 satin stainless scope on it i want to change to a leupold scout scope i am using the gun for 150 yards or closer so i don`t need a ton of magnification i will post pics and it is caliber 45/70

Attached Files:

• 076.jpg
      076.jpg
      File size:
      47.1 KB
      Views:
    • 077.jpg
      077.jpg
      File size:
      40.7 KB
      Views:
    • 078.jpg
      078.jpg
      File size:
      41.9 KB
      Views:
    • 079.jpg
      079.jpg
      File size:
      44.2 KB
      Views:
    • 081.jpg
      081.jpg
      File size:
      40.4 KB
      Views:
    • 080.jpg
      080.jpg
      File size:
      41.9 KB
      Views:
    • 082.jpg
      082.jpg
      File size:
      33.5 KB
      Views:
  2. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Lifetime Supporting

Excellent piece...

3. niclas

niclas Member

Hello!
    Do you like the scout scope concept?
    Since these rifles are perfect for close distance situations I think the scout scope is the abs perfect choice.
    On my 1895 GS I use the Leupold M8 EER X2. I want no more magn than X2.. but I don't shot game on distance as long as 150yards. My max is maybe 120 yards..
    Quick detachable rings are the perfect addition to a scout scoup, in my opinion.
    Besides Leupold I believe Burris have some nice Optics.. if you want the best quality in traditional optics you should choose Zeiss, Helia Swarovski ++
    Gooooood luck man:)
    /N

Last edited: Sep 20, 2012
  4. moparman1911

thank you

that scope is illuminated retical,bullet drop comensated and makes the gun very accurate.i have xs sites on it and they shoot very well.i have never had a scout scope on anything but it looks more balaced and lower cleaner look.i saw a bunch of threads about the leupold scout scope and with any gun i shoot tops 150 same as you.too many variables and i want to humanely harvest the animal i am not carlos hathcock just want to put meat in the freezer

5. moparman1911

thank you

she is a beautiful beast

6. hombre243

hombre243 Well-Known Member

I'm just gettin all drippy.:eek:

7. Rooster59

Rooster59 Well-Known Member

It depends on what you call "balanced". Even a lighter weight, ie smaller, scout scope will make the rifle feel more muzzle heavy. You have a pretty large scope on your rifle now. If you'll pardon me for saying so, it's way too big for anything I would mount on it. Especially if you are shooting at targets/game at 150 yards or less.

I've recently installed a scout scope setup on a 336TS. Even with a scope at around 10.5 oz it feels heavier than without. Balance is a relative thing. Even with the scout scope my 336TS is less muzzle heavy than my 1895CB with a long octagon barrel.

Just a suggestion. Before you take the plunge on a high quality scout scope like you mentioned, you may want to try an inexpensive scout scope. Since your rifle is already equipped to handle a traditional or scout mount you don't have to spring for the different mounting system. On the advice of a heavy shooter friend, who has seven of them, I mounted a NcStar 2-7x32 Pistolero scope. His are mounted on everything from 1894C to 1895 models including a Marlin M375. They have handled the recoil very well. They offer 2.5x and 2-7x models in 32mm objective, both under $45 from opticsplanet.com.

After you decide you like a scout scope ditch the NcStar (I'd likely buy it) and get the high quality scope you prefer. If not, slap that big 40 back on 'er and shoot, shoot, shoot.

Attached Files:

8. niclas

niclas Member

NcStar. I have only tested one. it was ok but the view of field was not very good so I changed it for a better one before it even entered the woods ..

I have now tested my own pretty new rig out in the field and I love it.
    Compered to traditional rifle scope the scout scope has one negative side in rainy weather ..
    Water drops on the ocular glasses (on the outside) are much more visible because of the extended eye relief.
    This can be a bit frustrating when you are not used to it perhaps.

Overall?
    I just love it :D

/N

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 2, 2012
  9. moparman1911

Yup.

Hey rooster.you are correct,as i took those pictures i hated that scope on that gun so i ripped it off.i sold the ncstar brand at my shop,everything they had i sold.it was lower end but in 9 years, maybe a dozen things came back,plus their warrentee is great.they just take it back and give you a shipping label to send it back.i have one of their higher end spotting scopes.that scope there is the highest end ncstar.two colored illuminated retical.green and red with eleven different settings,bullet drop compensator and i never had one of their scopes lose zero or break on me personal.but i hated it on the gun when i saw it in the pictures.hey rooster,man you are just trying to help me out.we all can learn to the second we die so by all means.i will be happy to read anything you write.but thank you for the respect and courtousy though,keep those mopars comin,lol...

10. FOUR4D4

FOUR4D4 Moderator Moderator

I have to go to Church,some thing about covet neighbor's belongings :eek: