I was told to say hello

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Soccernut, Aug 23, 2015.

1. Soccernut

Soccernut Member

I am getting back into shooting after a long hiatus. Recently inherited several antique pistols and getting out and shooting them also made me get out and shoot the rifles I have had for awhile.

One of the guns I didn't get was a Marlin 1892 in .22 caliber. A gun I admired for many years but never got to shoot. So now I am looking for a lever action to do some plinking with since all I have are single shot .22 rifles. I know that another 1892 is out of my league price wise and I also want something I am not afraid to damage. Wanting to keep the price around $300 which I am finding is really limiting except maybe to buy a Henry. Intrigued by the Marlin 56 and 57 but a 39A would be good too.

2. greyhawk50

greyhawk50 Well-Known Member

Welcome to the Marlin Forum and welcome back to the joys of shooting. Glad to have you with us.
    I think you'll like it here. We're a pretty friendly group.
    And; nothing wrong with a Henry.

3. FOUR4D4

FOUR4D4 Moderator Moderator

Welcome to the forum

4. MattNH

MattNH Well-Known Member

Welcome.

I have both a 56 and a 39A. The 56 is the first rifle I ever shot and one of my more accurate Marlins, it's always had a 4x scope on it and wears one now. They are hard to find and I've only ever seen 1 other for sale at $350. Original 7 round magazines are nearly impossible to find, but there are 10 round ones available, but they are $25 plus shipping. The short throw "Levermatic" is wonderful to shoot! I don't even have to take my thumb off the tang to cycle the action.

I recently acquired a 39A from 1979 and I need to change the sights, I can't see the factory sights. I plan on Slinners but need to build up the disposable cash, $80-$85 or so shipped for the rear and a taller front insert. I got the rifle for $470 and thought it was an okay deal, based on the design features I wanted, no tapered round barrel and narrow fore arm, not the "perch belly" style.

I hope you can find a nice 56 or 39A for $300, but I'm just being realistic, you may be looking a while, which you acknowledge.

For plinking, there are always Marlin 60's available and can be picked up for $100. No matter what is wrong with it, a model 60 can be fixed and made pretty. I prefer the '84-'89 years wi the long mag tube and last shot hold open feature.

I do prefer the detachable magazines to the tube fed and the rifle I'm shooting the most right now is a Marlin 60 barrel and receiver merged with a Marlin 995 action, stock and trigger. It has tech sights on it.

Good luck in your search and let us know what you end up with,

5. oldbrass

oldbrass Well-Known Member

welcome from Wa state soccernut

6. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Lifetime Supporting

Welcome to the Marlin Firearms Forum Soccernut !!

Thanks for joining our community............

7. Soccernut

Soccernut Member

I ended up buying a JC Higgins 46 (Marlin 56) with a Ted Williams 4x scope. Nice setup. Really fun to shoot.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 22, 2015