Impressive performance for the 9mm defense load.

Discussion in 'General Chit-Chat' started by greyhawk50, Oct 25, 2014.

1. greyhawk50

greyhawk50 Well-Known Member

2. 28Shooter

28Shooter Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporting

I know many don't like the 9mm but the round has come a long way from the days of 115 grain hardball. That 147 grain Federal load sounds like a real buster but you'd really have to careful using it as a home defense round with all that penetration. Call me "old-fashioned" but I'll stick with my Model 28 revolver loaded with .38 +Ps and if I could get my foolishly traded Model 25 in .45 Colt back, that would be my handgun of choice.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2014

3. greyhawk50

greyhawk50 Well-Known Member

OK; "You are Old-fashioned". But so am I.

I thought it was an interesting article for those that prefer that caliber.

When I recently aquired my CCW Permit, I purchased a Kel-Tec P3At 380 because it was easily concealable and very comfortable to carry. Knowing full well that it was under powered and that shot placement would be critical. (Lord willing, I'll never have to use it) Then I purchased a S&W Airweight 38+P because it was considered more reliable and had better ballistic performance. That is my HD (occasional carry) weapon of choice and is currently standing at the ready.
    Because of 30+ years as a maintenance tech, my wrist suffers when I shoot a 45 acp, although, it is a great HD cartridge. And I love the 1911 platform but I sold mine for just that reason. I loved shooting the 1911.

I live in a small town with a dozen homes all around and within 100 yards of me. Over penetration is always a concern. That is why my 38 spl. is loaded with 125 gr. HPs and my back-up HD weapon is a Youth Model Mossy 410 Bantam shotgun with an 18" barrel & 000 Buck Handgun Loads. Mostly because my wife loves that gun and is comfortable in using it.
    At heart, I'm a diehard shotgun kinda guy. My other guns are merely tools to fit a given purpose.
    Now you can call me old fashioned. :rolleyes:

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 27, 2014
  4. 28Shooter

28Shooter Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporting

Well then I consider myself in good company!