Intentional procrastination.

Discussion in 'General Chit-Chat' started by straightshooter, Dec 23, 2014.

1. straightshooter

straightshooter Well-Known Member

I have been playing the 4d4 shooting game instead of going outside and installing my starter on my car. This has got to be the hardest starter to replace I have ever done. I am not wanting to go out of house and install the new one. I just have a carport with a dirt floor and the weather is not very nice right now with wind blowing and in the 50's.
    This experience reminds me why I don't wrench on other people's cars for free or at all for that matter. This is a PITA.
    Impala 3.9 v-6 and as cramped clearance to work in as possible.

2. hombre243

hombre243 Well-Known Member

50 degrees, That's like...SUMMER!

3. straightshooter

Yeah I know up North that is called a heat wave in the winter but it isn't here.
    Well major screw up. The new starter doing the same thing. I thought since the headlights were bright that the battery was good. All the dash lights and such work but the radio will not come on. The starter just gives a loud click like the solenoid is kicking in but the engine doesn't turn over. That made me think it was the starter.
    I tried a different key in case it was the antitheft in key malfunctioned but another key does same thing. The radio not coming on but dash works and bright headlights has me confused also. I would think the radio should at least come on since it doesn't draw hardly any amps.
    Out of all the tools I have bought I never did buy a battery load tester. Well tomorrows another day. I haven't tried barring the engine over to see if it is locked up but the engine has not been making any noise and had good oil pressure.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2014
  4. straightshooter

I put a charger on the battery for about 2 hours and then the car started. Evidently the battery had voltage but hardly any amperage. I am so glad the dang engine isn't locked up.
    I could have avoided all this if I had done more simple diagnosing. Well I kicked my own butt on this one for sure.

5. FOUR4D4

FOUR4D4 Moderator Moderator

I remember working on my k-5 Blazer in -14 degrees.I know the feeling BRO

Last edited: Dec 24, 2014
  6. straightshooter

That Blazer would have sat till spring. lol I know sometimes we have got to do things we don't want to do.
    The coldest I remember in Ohio was in year 1978. -26 with chill factor of -59 . I bet hell got notice of a northerner was headed down there. I put a water heater in my p/up radiator hose during that spell. When a 350 Chevy only hums when you turn the key then you know it is to dang cold.