Interesting custom .308

Discussion in 'Other Guns' started by 72Camaro, Jun 30, 2012.

1. 72Camaro

72Camaro Well-Known Member

I picked up this custom made National Match .308 competition rifle. Have not shot it since I'm going to sell it and it probably has less then 50 rounds through it.

An old gunsmith made this as his last rifle build to be his final best build. The Leupold Mark 3 with target turrets has been reground by a friend of his at Nikon, the Mauser Interarms Mark X action has been jewel finished and/or blued and remilled, it went through 5 triggers and this final trigge has been jeweled, custom checkered thumb hole stock, Allen wrenches to adjust the front bipod and the rear butt plate, Douglas XX blued barrel, aluminum case, the plate that pushes the ammo up has been jeweld, the lever has been milled to miss the scope and jeweled, the action release has been jeweled. It is really a stunning gun in person. I had an old gun guy that builds his own guns look at it and he said it was better than anything he has ever done and asked to hold it a little longer when I was ready to put it back in the case.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 30, 2012

2. axxe55

axxe55 Well-Known Member

that is one really nice 308! very nice. :D

3. greyhawk50

greyhawk50 Well-Known Member

That is a beautiful 308. Thanks for sharing.
    And - thanks for jumping right in with the post and pictures. No need to be bashful. :))

4. R.Ph. 380

R.Ph. 380 Well-Known Member

Much nicer than my 308. Betcha it shoots good too............

5. 72Camaro

^^^I wasn't planning on shooting it but my buddy, the original owners son, said at 200yds it was consistant in a quarter, and he had not shot in probably 10yrs or more.

6. FOUR4D4

FOUR4D4 Moderator Moderator

I wonder what that would go for?

7. 72Camaro

The gun builder that I had looked at it and said it was worth every bit of $3000 now and in good times $3600 or more and I know the guy that had it built said he had $5000 in it and the gunsmith took 2 years in his free time to build it. For insurance, which is usually exagerated a bit, it was insured for $10,000 probably about 10 years ago.

The problem is finding the right buyer that can appreciate it and the work that went in it.

8. axxe55

axxe55 Well-Known Member

that is very true. custom built rifles are usually built for one person and tend to be suited to their particular needs or wants in a rifle.

another factor that i have seen in the past when it comes to custom built items, ( cars, boats, motorcycles, rifles, ect. ) is that the people who would buy that item can't afford it, and those who can will have their own built.

i could easily see it being worth that amount. in a better economy, maybe more. again, very beautiful rifle. i would be proud to have it in my gun collection.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2012