Iowa Early Muzzleloader Deer Season opens Saturday Oct. 11

Discussion in 'Hunting Forum' started by hombre243, Oct 10, 2014.

1. hombre243

hombre243 Well-Known Member

Wish me luck and safe passage. I will be out 2 hours or more before shooting time. I know right where I want to be. I might get lucky too and see some other game. Lots of coon and squirrels around.

I ground hunt because my legs wont let me climb in a climbing stand and i am too lazy to tote my new ladder stand out. I think I am going to save it for coyote hunting later on.

I will be using my new CVA Wolf .50 cal. w/340 gr. lead (home cast) hollow points and sabot combo, and 100 gr Pyrodex Select.

That is, unless the buck gets close enough so I can pop him with my 45 ACP.

I think I will salt the hollow point so if I have to take a real long shot I won't have to worry about spoilage before I get to the Buck.:cool:

2. Bucky

Bucky Well-Known Member

Hombre
    Hope this makes you jealous ?

Attached Files:

3. greyhawk50

greyhawk50 Well-Known Member

Wishing you much success. Take plenty of pictures.
    Your CVA Wolf should do the job nicely.

4. hombre243

You look many years younger in that pic Bucky.
    By the way, who shot them, Lynne?

:D

5. hombre243

Thanks greyhawk,
    hoping for some much needed winter meat. I will try to get pics but my phone sucks for pictures and my camera is a bit bulky. Maybe if I can get one hung up...

6. hombre243

What kind of deer are they Bucky?

7. Bucky

Bucky Well-Known Member

Hombre

Dead deer of course
    now you let the secret out
    Darn !:)

8. hombre243

Bucky,
    I know from what you told me you can't hit, or even find a Sambar deer so I just wondered if these were something else, maybe baby Sambar shot by someone else, while you were doin dishes or were otherwise somehow preoccupied. (sorry, couldn't resist)

Attached Files:

9. Bucky

Bucky Well-Known Member

Hombre
    Love it Mate !

I keep telling Lyn to stop "texting the bloody Deer", to tell them that I am on the way up.
    One reply I have gotten back is that " can't you find a deer, that is "dumber" than you are".

10. hombre243

Just tell her...Nope.:D

11. hombre243

Looks like my passengers for tomorrow cancelled so...maybe I will have a shot at a one day hunt. Then 2 days work and finally a 2 day weekend. Weather looks like it may be ok.

I have a perfectly good pop up ground blind and I keep forgetting to get it out of storage. I may have a wet butt tomorrow, but that's ok as long as my boobies don't get wet.:D

12. hombre243

Sunday is the last day of the Iowa early ML deer season. I tried to get another tag for a later season but all the good tags are taken and the counties that have tags are either a long way off or have a low deer count.

I made it out Wednesday and Saturday. Didn't see anything except some other hunters. They were deerless too...except for one fella. Smallish doe from what I could see. But right about now that even looks really good. Hopefully I can get out tomorrow. Hopefully I can get out ahead of the drivers. Only problem is I will have to shag my lazy hiney out of the rack early and I am gettin used to sleeping. O well... I have had to do worse things. But I can't remember what they were.