It's Jerkey Makin Day !!

Discussion in 'General Chit-Chat' started by SWO1, Nov 7, 2013.

1. SWO1

SWO1 Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporting

Will work up the boys two deer today. Its been great weather for hangin. Will work up the meat and partially freeze. Makes it easier to slice up. Marinate for at least 24 hours in the frig, maybe longer. Then its into the oven at 200 deg for around 2 hours. Spread em on a wire rack so the air gets all around. Check with an internal temp probe and when its at 160 .... done.

Next one will grind and make the venison sticks. Marinate and mix with a little pork and some Jalapeno Peppers.

2. Shooter

Shooter Administrator Staff Member Administrator

That sounds awesome. You use an oven? I have a dehydrator but it's a PIA to keep it clean.

3. lingr

lingr Well-Known Member

How's the jerky coming? I'm getting hungry. :)

4. SWO1

I've had 2-3 different dehydrators. Don't like em, and like you say, to much up keep. An oven works just as well. Set at 200 and prop the door open just a bit, I use half a wooden cloths pin. 2-2.5 hrs and its perfect. Can run 5-6 batches a day. If I use my daughters oven also can do a WHOLE BUNCH in a day. This year will do Origional flavor (what ever that is) and Hickory. I like the Black Pepper with Red Pepper Flakes myself....:p

Google "making jerky in an oven" Most Jerkey seasoning mixes also have the instructions in them, that's how I started with it.

5. SWO1

Got about 15 lbs marinating now. SOON, This weekend for sure.

6. dads81-DL

dads81-DL Well-Known Member

I use the oven also. Hang them off the oven rack on bamboo skewers over tinfoil to catch the drippings.
    If ya like..... send a few pounds and I'll do a "quality check" for ya :) LOL

7. Shooter

Shooter Administrator Staff Member Administrator

I'll give it a try. I'm going to do food for presents this year. Trying to get enough squirrel to dehydrate and make soup with.

8. havasu

havasu Well-Known Member

I hope I'm off your Christmas list this year...