Kano Kroil

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing' started by axxe55, Mar 10, 2012.

1. axxe55

axxe55 Well-Known Member

guys, any of you use this stuff? i bought some with my last order from Midway because it was on sale. i tried it out on one of my fathers rifles to remove some slight surface rust on the barrel. used it with some very fine steel wool and now the barrel and action look almost like brand new again. if you haven't tried it yet, you might want to give it a try. i will be ordering more in the near future.

2. FOUR4D4

FOUR4D4 Moderator Moderator

Thank You. I think Midway has this on sale.:confused:

3. Ac_Man1962

Ac_Man1962 Active Member

I have been using this stuff for at least 20 years, I work on A/C and refrigeration equipment... Using it to get fan blades of motor shafts, bearings,..... When I buy a Pre- or war time Walther pistol, I place pistol in large ziplock bag, and spray Kroil in bag... let it sit a few days, it looses up the crud deep inside the gun. Then I can get it clean out...

4. axxe55

axxe55 Well-Known Member

Four they do, beings it was on sale i decided to try it out. glad i did. great stuff. they say a lot of benchrest shooter use it as a solvent to clean their barrels with. if it works as good as they say, i will have to buy the larger size next time!

Ac, good info. so it's a good penetrant for rusted parts too? this is the first time i have ever bought it and used it, and so far i am impressed with it.

5. duster066

duster066 Well-Known Member Supporting

I have never seen a bad review. It seems to have been lost in time a bit, but very much recommended by the old timers and the new guys who have rediscovered it.

Over the years I've come across two very good penitrating solvents that out perform anything else I've ever tried. Most have heard of PB Blaster and it is available everywhere. An even better one used to be sold by Chrysler. MOPAR Heater Control Valve Solvent. I have never used anything that works as well as this stuff. It's likely still available at the Dodge house, but PB Blaster works so well I haven't looked in years.

6. axxe55

axxe55 Well-Known Member

PB Blaster is a good penetrating oil and one i keep around the garage for freeing up rust fasteners and such. even WalMart carries it.

this Kano Kroil is probably going to be my go to and do everything product for guns now! i really like this stuff. i wish i had found it years ago.

7. 28Shooter

28Shooter Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporting

Axxe - How was it on the bluing? I recently bought a pre-64 Model 70 and it has a little bit of very light surface rust in the mag well. I'd like to remove it and Kroil sounds like it might do the trick.

8. axxe55

axxe55 Well-Known Member

the Kroil will do the trick. it doesn't seem to hurt the blueing. some people use it on a soft rag and just polish it out. if you need to, you can use some very, very fine steel wool and Kroil and polist out the metal with it. this stuff is awesome. i am really liking it.

9. 28Shooter

28Shooter Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporting

Thanks for the info Axxe, I think I'll give it a try.

10. axxe55

axxe55 Well-Known Member

i am using it right now on a Ruger rifle i just picked up today. as i said before, i am so impressed with it, that i will order a larger size container of it next time! MidwayUSA carries it, and i bought some to try out because it was on sale. if you try it, i think you will like it too.

11. UncleSarge58

UncleSarge58 Member

Hey Guys,
    On Very Fine or even Heavy Rust, Especially on a More Expensive Firearm, Use Bronze Wool (Also available at Midway) w/ Kroil.
    Another Neat Thing about Kroil, is that if you Soak a Leaded .22 Barrel w/ it overnight, The Lead comes Out in Strips the next day w/ a Bore Brush.
    Great Stuff & Luckily they Carry it Here Locally at the Co-Op.
    UncleSarge58