Lee classic loader

Discussion in 'Ammo & Reloading' started by vitkop, Dec 29, 2012.

1. vitkop

vitkop Member

I've recently started to reload/cast. I reload .30 30 for one gun with a lee whack with a stick loader, but I use a scale instead of the supplied scoop. Unfortunately I can't get out to shoot more than a couple of times a month so I haven't had a chance to shoot any of my reloads yet. The guy at my local reloading store tells me that I will never get good consistent results like can be achieved with a press, with the lee loader.

2. vitkop

vitkop Member

3. SWO1

SWO1 Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporting

vitkop...although I havn't used one I have seen them used. My nephew uses one to load a number of calibers for hunting, All perform fine. I have seen them used at matches to load rounds for compatition. Reloading platforms run the scale of a few in minutes to a lot in a few minutes. Quality of the ammo not withstanding. I would say the comment you recieved was more along the lines of a retailer trying to move his higher end (priced) product. More like "I cant" so therefore "nobody" can.

4. oldbrass

oldbrass Well-Known Member

BULL-HARKY the lee loader creates great ammo. If your consistant your ammo will be to no matter what loading apparatus you use..The store just wants you buy a new loader..

AND by the way, one of the long range world record holders used a lee loader for for his competition ammo....not bad for a whack a stick loader

5. vitkop

vitkop Member

Makes me feel a lot better about all my time spent with it.
    It's a shame that the "expert" would tell me lies just to sell a product. He's the only person I've found so far to try to get reloading advice from.
    Now that I found you guys ill ask questions here and get a more unbiased opinion.

6. greyhawk50

greyhawk50 Well-Known Member

Nothing wrong with the Lee Classic Loader other than it is labor intensive, meaning, it take a little more time. Should be no difference in quality. Over 40 years ago, I started with the Lee Classic Die Sets for 38/357 and another for 410 shot shell.
    Basically, a die is a die. I've been to a couple Bench Rest Shoots and it is true, those guys use a die set very similar to the Lee Classic. The difference being that their dies are custom built to match the chamber in their custom built barrels on their custom built rifles. Another difference is, they use an Arbor Press rather than a hammer. Both do the same job and get the same end results.
    Keep on with your plan until if/when you decide to level up.

And Welcome to the Forum.

Grey

7. SWO1

SWO1 Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporting

Advice from an experienced person is good....to a point. Even on here. I must say that I have not seen any BAD advice from members on here. But I did and you should also, get yourself at least a couple of manuals from reliable reloading sources (Lyman, Sierra, Lee ect.) and READ, READ, READ. Since you're casting I will "suggest" Lymans reloading manual has an extensive section on Cast shooting. I don't cast or shoot it so didn't read that portion, but I know its there.

8. oldbrass

oldbrass Well-Known Member

Best advice on the forum..I bought and read Lymans 49th cover to cover before I purchased any reloading equipment

9. HenryinFlorida

HenryinFlorida Active Member

I bought a Lee Classic Loader for my 45/70. I don't see any reason that you can't load consistantly if you use a scale to measure your powder and use some calipers to measure your rounds. It took me a few tries to get the lenght correct and everything locked in place. I have checked every few rounds at first to make sure the bullets were seating correctly, then I checked the last round loaded.
    Good luck with your loading.

10. FOUR4D4

FOUR4D4 Moderator Moderator

Lee is a good company to deal with

11. vitkop

vitkop Member

I love em. I just got the lee handheld press, to size cast bullets and to have the option to full length size if I want. I could do both tasks with dies and a rod from the lee classic loader kit but its reeaally slow. The press was an impulse buy, but I already sized a few hundred casts through it, and for 60.00 I feel like its already paid for its self.

12. vitkop

vitkop Member

Just looked at my receipt, 42.00 on amazon

13. FOUR4D4

FOUR4D4 Moderator Moderator

$42.00 thats cheaper than a set of carbide dies :eek:

14. vitkop

vitkop Member

Just got home from a camping trip. I reloaded round the fire, it was awesome. I noticed a some of my ammo showed signed of excessive pressure and I'm not sure why. It spooked me enough that I stopped shooting my reloads after only a few shots. I don't understand why I'm seeing signs, I'm using the minimum amount of powder for the bullet I'm using, I even brought a scale with me to double check my charges.

What I'm seeing is a small faded line around the base of the case and the primer looks a little squished not crisp like the factory ones look like when they get shot

Confused