Lever Action question

Discussion in 'General Marlin Discussion' started by Augustus, Oct 2, 2013.

1. Augustus

Augustus Well-Known Member Supporting

Did Marlin make a lever action rifle that had the loading gate on the butt stock? Or, was it a Winchester? Anybody know the Model of that rifle? I seem to remember it being a big bore, but I could be wrong.

2. Augustus

3. FOUR4D4

FOUR4D4 Moderator Moderator

There were a couple of box-type magazine lever guns made - Winchester 1895, for one - but so far as I know they all load from the top. And more to the point, Win 1895's don't come in .22.
    I think Henry made one like your describing

4. Augustus

Thanks, FOUR4D4.

5. artbrownsr

artbrownsr Well-Known Member Supporting

I think the Remington Nylon .22 was loaded from the stock but it a) was .22 not big bore, b) Semi auto, not lever.

6. Augustus

Thank you.

7. greyhawk50

greyhawk50 Well-Known Member

The rifle of which you speak is the Remington Nylon 66. It came in brown stock with blued barrel/receiver and the version with the black stock and chrome barrel/receiver.

The Remington 76 was a 22 lever rifle (correction) with a tube magazine in the butt stock.
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIVaHtYhZdE[/ame]
    They also made a bolt action nylon version. It was the nylon model 11. It had a detachable magazine.
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HspzgLzdEjA[/ame]
    Also was the nylon model 12 which was the same as the 11 but had a tube magazine under the barrel.
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CnHyNSmoV_4[/ame]

I'm not aware of a lever action rifle that loaded through the butt stock but I learn new things every day.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2013
  8. 1894

1894 Well-Known Member

9. greyhawk50

greyhawk50 Well-Known Member

1894;
    I believe you are correct.
    Sorry, my bad.
    I have owned a couple of the mod. 66 and a one each of the mod. 76 and the mod. 11 but that was before I knew how special they were. My bad for ever selling them.

Now back to the originally scheduled program.
    A lever rifle that loads through the butt stock???????????????

Last edited: Oct 6, 2013
  10. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Lifetime Supporting

I did some looking and could not find anything like described by Augustus in my reference books...

But I do vaguely remember a rifle ( not sure if it was lever action ) that you loaded from the "back" of the stock...you twisted and pulled out the spring loaded rod from the shoulder mounting area...drop in the prescribed number of rounds...then inserted the spring and rod back and twisted it to lock.

Anybody else remember this...?

11. Augustus

Thanks to everyone who has responded. I guess I must have seen Hickok45 loading a .22 rifle with the loading gate on the side of the stock. I surely thought it was a large bore rifle.

Anyway, thanks again to all who participated in this thread. :)

12. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Lifetime Supporting

I'm gonna find the name of that rifle I described...I will !!

13. 1894

1894 Well-Known Member

Any luck with your search Shooter ?

14. rs917

rs917 Member

From my experience, that describes the Remington Nylon 66 perfectly.

15. KS95B40

KS95B40 Active Member

Spencer repeating rifle, Civil War era lever-action carbine, fed by tube magazine, loaded through butt plate; caliber 56-56 Spencer Rimfire.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spencer_repeating_rifle

16. Gumpy

Gumpy AKA Richard Prestage

350 grain bullet. Wow!! There is your big bore. Good find!
    Welcome to the forum!

17. Augustus

WOW, indeed. Thanks!

18. yelsnit

yelsnit Member

Hey all, I need to start a new topic, but have not got the hang of this app. Strange when you think of a desk top Mac as old school.
    I have bought, and will pick up any day, a model 92 Marlin. It is around 1920 DOM. The unusual feature is it is a smooth bore. The owner said it is not shot out, if that is even possible in a 22. The other unusual feature is the sights. They appear to be standard, semi buckhorn type, and the front is a brass blade.
    The rear sight has had the elevator removed, the "wings" squeezed together, and a triangle filed for a notch. The front blade has been filed to a thick post.
    I am thinking this was a trick shooters gun. I have read the little glass balls and other small items that were shot in the air with 22's, were shot with rat shot.
    I will have the serial number soon, if that will help. Does this sound like anything yall are familiar with?