lever gun

Discussion in 'Lever Action' started by duster066, Jan 25, 2012.

1. duster066

duster066 Well-Known Member Supporting

Hi guys and gals,

I'm a life long shooter who is interested in cowboy action. My win 94 is a 30-30 so I need a new lever gun. I've always made compromises on my gun purchases buying something used, cheap, or it'll do the job. I'm 52 now and really like old school guns, and I think I'm ready to buy what I want instead of settling. For those reasons and a few more I'm considering a Henry Big Boy for no other reason except I love the look of the gun.

My reasons for going cowboy action are not to compete for winning at all costs. I want to enjoy the atmosphere, market my leather rigs, and become a better shooter under competition pressures. Becoming a better shooter means I have no intention to modify my guns beyond what I would normally do for general field use. I even intend to shoot the same loads I use in the field where they meet velocity rules. So that means I don't mind the tube magazine handicap of the Henry.

I've read many reviews of the rifles in this class and understand that the Marlins are not only cheaper, but better rifles for the job. However please reread the first paragraph, I want the brass. So for you guys who can offer good advice considering my position. Is there any reason for me to buy the better and cheaper gun, the Marlin?

For further consideration: One of my SA is a 357m SAA clone, the other is a S. Blackhawk 44m so at first I'll be handy capped with two calibers. I intend to buy a twin for one of them, and prefer 357 so that would be my choice for the rifle. Any opinions that would recommend going 44m? Having the 30-30 I don't need a new brush rifle which is the only reason I can see for the 44. The 44 would be a better bear defense gun but I use the Blackhawk for that, and don't intend to start carrying a rifle while fishing or hiking.

Thanks and for you brave soles come on over to the Hi Point Firearms Forum. We're a bit wacky over there, but we don't bite to hard, and have a real cheap fun gun to play with.:p

2. Hyphenated

Hyphenated Well-Known Member

First off welcome to this forum duster066.

I think your mind is pretty well made up on the Henry based on looks, which is a valid issue. So, now it's down to caliber. The 357 is a much better choice for cowboy action shooting, simply because of the reduced recoil. As a bonus the ammo is cheaper to buy and to reload.

If you are not in it to win it, but just there for the fun, go with the rifle you will love to carry. I'm in your age bracket and I have quit buying rifles because they are practical or the perfect tool. I buy because I like them. Go for it!

Last edited: Jan 25, 2012

3. Rooster59

Rooster59 Well-Known Member

Only recommendation I can make is to be sure you have checked the rules of the competition bracket you intend to enter. I am only a casual viewer of all things cowboy action but it seems to me you may want to insure the mag capacity of the gun you purchase can handle the number of rounds you will be required to shoot in one session.

I believe some of the CAS-type competitors have purchased 20" or 24" cowboy type octagon Marlins, Rossi's, etc. to make 10+ rounds available without the time taken to stuff a few more in the loading gate while in the heat of competition.

On a side note, if you do consider a Marlin you may want to choose a used one. Not for cost, currently there have been some QC issues with Marlins since production was moved to Remington's Ilion, NY plant. Just a word to the wise.

4. duelistone

duelistone New Member

I have been shooting Cowboy Action for about 14 years now. Like you, I never intended to try and compete. However, after a little while, the bug bit. It would have been far cheaper for me to buy a more competitive rifle from the start. Most top shooters shoot .38 special through a Uberti (winchester replica) '73. There are a few top shooters that shoot the 94 marlin also in .38. The 73 is by far the most common. If you wish to stay with larger caliber firearms, there is the category called "classic cowboy." This category has certain dress requirements as well as firearm requirements. The absolute best advise I could give you is to go to sassnet.com and find a local club, go watch the shooting, talk to some folks and ask to try their firearms. All of us have our opinions, but you have to choose the guns that are right for you. Just keep in mind that if once you get going with this the bug bites, you will save a lot of money if you competitive guns from the start.

5. duster066

Thanks for the replies. They kind of confirm what I'm thinking.

duelistone I hear ya! I've done 20+ years racing cars, and learned early I couldn't afford to be competitive at the level I wanted to race. I found I was happier just being there than sitting at home wishing, and I learned to control the urges to spend more money than I had. The bug may bite, and if it does I'll have to deal with it. Your advice to attend a few shoots is good. I have found my local club, and will follow your advice when the weather improves.

6. Shooter

Shooter Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Welcome Duster, glad to see you!

7. duster066

Thank you sir. A mod 60 was my first gun, and I currently have a 700 and a 925M. Good guns deserve a good forum.:)

8. Old man Tucker

Old man Tucker Active Member

Lever guns brass case

duster, i know how you feel about the henry that was my first choice. What changed my mind i didn't like the tube feed but i love the brass look. What i also found and you might want to check it out is Rossi/puma makes a nice brass 92 in 44mag & 357 it's actually a stainless case brass plated plenty strong, also Uberti has a high quality 1866 brass not cheap beautiful looking guns i'm not sure on calibers was told they have to be imported by stoeger ind. to be warranteed using genuine parts serviced in USA. Check out Guns America they have some for sale. I have the marlin 1894 44mag, but still looking for a brass octagon barrel in 44mag or even a case hardened receiver but i'm leaning towards the brass love the look. hope this helps Good Luck" OMT"

9. Plumber

Plumber Well-Known Member

Or you could have a marlin receiver brass plated.

10. Old man Tucker

Lever

Plumber it has crossed my mind but not willing to spend that kinda $$$. I'm happy with my 1894 the way it is. I did see some beautiful case hardened rec. i think the work was done by Turnbull, won't mind doing that, also big bucks. Oh well i can still dream. Who knows maybe someday.

11. 1894

1894 Well-Known Member

If you like the looks and feel of the Rossi / Puma rifles , a good place to check out would be Steves Gunz .

http://www.stevesgunz.com/

12. Old man Tucker

Lever guns

Thanks 1894, i did call and talk to steve a real nice guy. He actually told me the rossi is built stronger then the marlin, also he did not have any rossies. I'm probably going to get another 1894, or 95. I really like the marlins. Thanks for the post. OMT"