"Major" garden planting today and tomorrow !!

Discussion in 'General Chit-Chat' started by SWO1, May 1, 2015.

1. SWO1

SWO1 Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporting

The almanac says ITS TIME. Beans, Corn, Peas, Cucumber, Peppers, Radishes. Ive cut down on the # of Tomato plants to set out, down to 50 this year. Big planting of Beans. Last of the canned ones went over the winter, got to stock back up. More Salsa and Pasta sauce to can also.

First planting of radishes are up good and have been eating lettice already. Will also plant some more Jualpino Perppers as gettin low in the freezer. Have the beds ready. Will put in this afternoon after the heat of the day.

2. MattNH

MattNH Well-Known Member

Our grass isn't green yet.

3. SWO1

Well at least ya dont have to cut it ..... :p

Mine needs it for the 3rd time this year. Once you cut it it seems to just take off. About every 5-6 days for mine. 70s today and tomorrow with 80s Sunday-Thurs. We need some rain but none in the forcast till Wends.

4. greyhawk50

greyhawk50 Well-Known Member

Don't know about the Almanac but the moon is right. Just took the recycle stuff out and we have almost a full moon.
    My Dad always said to plant sub-terrain plant in the dark of the moon. Plant things that grow above the ground in the light of the full moon.
    Also said to set wooden fence post (4" or bigger) in the dark of the moon as well as install roofing shingles in the dark of the moon. We had a corner post that had worked out of the ground by 4"-6" over the years. It was a test of the theory and it was true. They claim the roofing shingles will turn up if installed in the light of the moon. Now they put tar strips on them to prevent this but the edges still turn up some. Some scarf at this old wise tail but I believe it to be true.
    I wish you much success for your effort. May you have a bountiful harvest. ;)

Last edited: May 1, 2015
  5. straightshooter

straightshooter Well-Known Member

WOW You have already cut some lettuce? I saved some seeds from store bought Jalapenos and bell pepper and planted them last week. Then we got this rain till it floods crap. I see some sprouts but not sure yet if they are from tallow tree seeds or the peppers.
    I would like to see a pic of your garden. Geeze 50 tomato plants? LOL I only planted 4 cherry tomato plants this year because I don't do any canning either.

6. SWO1

Almost done with the first big planting. 6 hills of cucumbers left. I have the hills made and am taking a break from the heat. 1450 and it 82. I will wait till later to sow the seeds. I had 8 hills last year and cucumbers out my ears. Have lots of canned pickles left and will try a new variety this year. Improved Telegraph is what I am planting. Straight up to 18" long, very few seeds which is what I like.

Have 7 varieties of tomato this year, 3 new ones. Goliath, the ole standby, Morirage Lifter another old varieth, Roma for salsa and pasta sauce, just a couple of cherry plants as they are HEAVY producers. New one this year are Jeruslium, Mountain Haritage, and Parks Whopper. The new ones are all Heirlooms. Heirlooms are not hybrid with others and are odd shaped and lots of wrinkles and folds ...... BUT THE BEST TASTING.

STRAIGHTSHOOTER ..... I will get some pics up latter as all the tomatoes are just 3" or so sticking out of the ground. The plants were about 12" tall and I sucker them up to the top 3" and bury the rest of the plant DEEP. With 8-10" of stem in the ground they will produce roots all along the buried part and be a lot sturdier and produce more and better fruit ...... IMO. I do have ONE Goliath that is about 2.5' tall with blooms already. I got it at the Menonite green house the other day. I cant wait the couple months for the rest ...... :D Oh and the early lettuce was 5 plants that came up from last years bed. This year its peppers in that bed and I had to plant around them ..... :p Its leaf and an early bonus.

7. SWO1

Strill cuttin lattice from last year that come up bye its self. Ours hasnt gotten big enough yet. Did pull some radishes yesterday. Green onions are about ready. Corn, beans (green) cucumbers are all up. Mater plants have doubled+ in size .... looking good. Only thing concerned with is the peas ..... havnt seen hide no hair of one yet ???

8. straightshooter

straightshooter Well-Known Member

I bought some bell and banana pepper plants and after 2 weeks they still are about same size, maybe a bit bigger. The cherry tomato plants have gotten a bit bigger.
    I Planted a row of beet seeds and I might have had one plant came up. Seeds are a year old so I guess the seeds are done for. My saved bell and jalapeno seeds haven't done squat either.
    I must have hit my thumb with a hammer because it sure doesn't seem to be green.

9. SWO1

This morning the Peas are up ... finally. About 3-4 days behind the other stuff. My wife just shells and eats them raw .... dosnt really like heated or steamed ones. The beans are starting to put on their TRUE leaves. The first two out are not leaves but part of the budding process. My one big tomato plant I put in is putting on a second set of blooms. I will eat my first maders off of it .... :D Rest of em are doing real good. Right now the corn is just one shoot and about 2-3" tall. We have got about 1.5" of rain the last 5 days and its gonna REALLY rain later this evening and tonight. I hear it rollin in from the SW out of Oklahoma. TX and Oka really have been hammered last two days with Tornadoes. Over 64 confirmed.

10. SWO1

Well it finally stopped raining and the sun is out. More than enough water for the garden and grass.

Green beans are ready to pick. Lettice and radishes are nearly done, time to plant some more before it gets to hot. Tomatoes are GREAT, plants are loaded. The two Cherry plants I do have lots of clusters. Cant really say they are cherry size, more like golf balls ..... :p Have about 1-2" cucumbers, with the sun should have some to pick by early next week. Corn is up good and got the first tassle today. Pulled my small bed of green onions couple days ago, they didnt do so well. Bawanas onions he set out and are doing OK, not a good year for them I guess. But will have enough for awhile.

Been buying Garden tomatoes at the Menonite store. Mine will be a few weeks yet. Been eating lots of Bacon/mater samiches ..... :) Matter of fact had a couple for breakfast.

Along with beans and taters also love Pasta salad with cucs and madders. There was a couple different kinds at the reunion last week and I ate plates full. One of my family made hers with Ranch Dressing instead of mayo .... really good. I put half ranch and half mayo in my cole slaw and it was good.