Making a Marlin 60 SB my own

Discussion in 'Marlin Rimfires' started by MattNH, Oct 4, 2014.

1. MattNH

MattNH Well-Known Member

I picked up a 1998 vintage Model 60 SB. The rifle is in fine shape but I want to make some changes. The plan is a good cleaning and polishing of the internals, a steel magazine follower, mount a 4x scope in silver, change out the the plastic trigger guard to the DIP with the DIP trigger. I refinished a Model 60 stock for another rifle a very dark stain and will use that one on this SB and refinish this one a more classic look for that other rifle.

I also want to find a new front sight insert for the ramp. It is currently the orange plastic insert that measures 0.370" wide and 0.300" tall. I'm thinking just a white bead Marbles or a similar.

Pics as is and others to follow as I move along. Busy weekend for kids sports, and I'll be taking my time.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 4, 2014
  2. MattNH

MattNH Well-Known Member

3. Gumpy

Gumpy AKA Richard Prestage

That's a sharp looking gun. Can't wait until you refinish it! Don't forget pictures.

4. MattNH

MattNH Well-Known Member

Cleaned and polished the innards. Mounted the scope, and changed out the trigger guard. I couldn't use the stock I wanted (quickly anyway) from my 1983 year. It is a darker finish but doesn't have the last shot hold open hole in it. So I took the finished stock from a 1984 vintage. Didn't take long, just hadn't gotten around to it.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. MattNH

MattNH Well-Known Member

Revisit - different stock, my 14 year old daughter loves this rifle, so now it's her's. She's hitting golf balls on a string from 50 yds with CCI Standard Velocity.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. greyhawk50

greyhawk50 Well-Known Member

Beautiful rifle. Well done man.

7. Gumpy

Gumpy AKA Richard Prestage

Exceptional job,Mon! No wonder your daughter loves it. Your lucky to have a daughter like that. I have a wife, daughter and granddaughter who like to shoot.

8. Mauserhooked

Mauserhooked Well-Known Member

Very nicely done! Looks fantastic.