Marlin 336 35 remington

Discussion in 'Lever Action' started by rifleman, Jan 28, 2015.

1. rifleman

rifleman New Member

Hi I'm new to this forum, I just bought a new marlin in 35 Remington. I heard they make good brush guns. Any replies.
    Rifleman

2. Gumpy

Gumpy AKA Richard Prestage

Welcome to the forum. They do make a good brush gun. I'd love to have one myself, but you know how that goes! Post some pictures and make yourself at home.

3. FOUR4D4

FOUR4D4 Moderator Moderator

I'm originally from Michigan they are the go to gun for Huntin,yes I own one.:D

4. greyhawk50

greyhawk50 Well-Known Member

rifleman; Welcome to the MArlin Forum. Glad to have you here.
    And to echo Gumpy's post, we like pictures.

The 35 Remington is a fine cartridge and has withstood the test of time since 1908 for good reason. The Marlin Lever Gun is excellent for use in brush country because it is easy to mount and gives opportunity for a quick second shot when needed. The .358" bullet at 200 grains does have greater energy (on both ends) than it's cousin the 30-30. The 35 Remington,over the years, has killed many a large game, including Bear and Elk. Just don't let the term "Brush Buster" mislead you into thinking that any bullet has the ability to bust through brush without any effect.
    Congratulations on your purchase of a fine hunting rifle.

5. rifleman

rifleman New Member

Is the Hornady Leverevolution a safe and reliable load

6. greyhawk50

greyhawk50 Well-Known Member

In a word, "yes".
    Hornady claims that the LE ammo extends the effective range by 30-50 yards. The only thing is that the FTX Bullet is a polymer filled hollow point and that may effect the penetration but with the 200 gr. bullet should be okay. I've used the FTX & XTP bullets (.308, .358 & .421 dia.) and the mass retention is near 100%.
    JMHO. Hope it helps.

7. rifleman

rifleman New Member

My new 35 Remington

Attached Files:

8. Gumpy

Gumpy AKA Richard Prestage

Purty! How does it shoot?

9. rifleman

rifleman New Member

What is a good scope for the 35 remington

10. jakes10mm

jakes10mm New Member

Regarding scopes, I like the Redfield Revolution 2-7x with the accu-reticle or Leupold VX1 1-4x HOG scope.

11. ditto1958

ditto1958 Member

OP, that's a purdy one you got there. Congrats!

As for scopes, the general consensus is that 2-7x scopes are the best size for the Marlin 336. This can be a little frustrating if you like to see things in person before you buy, because most retailers tend to stock 3-9x40 and larger scopes, because that's what people seem to think they need.

You can't go wrong, however, with either a Leupold VX-1 or VX-2, or a Redfield Revolution. A Nikon Prostaff is probably not a bad choice, either.

12. mm93

mm93 Well-Known Member

If you use a scope, I'd recommend a lower power. That would be something in the 4x or 6x level, or a variable in lower settings. The .35 Rem. cartridge was introduced in the 336 Marlin in 1950, and has been a great caliber. Not as popular as the .30-30, but a very good caliber, with great stopping power within it's capabilities.
    As for it's ability to buck brush, I always chuckle at that description. There is no caliber that isn't deflected by even the smallest of branches, so none will bust through brush. And not certain what ethical hunter would take a shot that wasn't clear? Keep a clear shot to the target, and your .35 Rem. will do the job.