Marlin 336C heat? problems!

Discussion in 'Lever Action' started by AJB48, Feb 3, 2016.

1. AJB48

AJB48 New Member

Was at the range shooting/sighting in my .35rem with leverevolution 200gr. 1st 2 rounds were touching 1" high and 2" left 3rd round was 3" low! Shots were done in under 3 minutes. Let things cool down for about 10 minutes while making scope adjustments. Next string, 1st 2 rounds were bullseye appx 1" apart 3rd shot 4" low. shots fired appx 1 minute apart. This is my hunting rifle and I don't feel right asking a deer to stand there while I wait for the barrel to cool down. Is there an easy fix or is this a gunsmith problem? AJ B

2. hombre243

hombre243 Well-Known Member

If you hit the deer the first time the barrel will naturally cool as you drag the deer to the truck.

But you might check your sights for movement. If it is a scope. ( from experience) the scope could be sliding with the recoil, or ir is a bad scope. I have had both things happen to me. I don't think the barrel would be heating up that quick that it causes the shots to go all over the map.

Depending on your range though, 3-4" is in the kill zone.

3. AJB48

AJB48 New Member

Hombre243,
    Will double check the scope mounts.
    BTW after 3 heart attacks my son does the dragging! I just tag along behind. 'tis great
    having a son care that much!

4. hombre243

I got one similar to this. Haven't used it yet but hopefully next season...

Supposed to make it easy to drag the deer out over any terrain, even w/o snow. I think the one i have was pretty cheap.

http://gameglide.com/

5. AJB48

AJB48 New Member

I have a drag sled, green thing looks like a 5' boat made of plastic. Do yourself a favor
    and get one with wheels much easier even with snow!

6. hombre243

I had one and got rid of it. I carried a lot of stuff in it but decided I had TOO MUCH stuff so now o have scaled down. Sled is noisy. I do also have a wheeled cart I have to get from storage. I forgot about it. Thanks for the reminder.