Marlin 336W mfg= 1963= Safety

Discussion in 'General Marlin Discussion' started by Everclear, Apr 1, 2013.

1. Everclear

Everclear Member

I just purchased a 30/30. Based on serial number=(WR60, etc.) It was mfg. in 1963.
    I thought the cross bolt safety was added after that date. I'm not sure when it was added I just thought it was later.
    Since mine gas the CBS does that affect the valve? It's in pretty decent shape. A little rust & some dings on the stock.
    After my gunsmith gives it a once over for mechanical issues I'm thinking of re-blueing the barrel & refinishing the stock. Would that hurt the value?
    I want it to look good. It's a Christmas present for my son.

2. Gumpy

Gumpy AKA Richard Prestage

Welcome to the forum!! I missed your first post. Sorry about that! It will make a very nice present regardless if it refinished or not. Myself, if it was not too bad, I would leave it as-is. Just my thoughts.

3. Hyphenated

Hyphenated Well-Known Member

Welcome aboard Everclear. The cross bolt safety came on the scene in 1983 so your rifle was made after that date. My guess is the 'WR' in the serial number identifies it as being originally sold by Walmart. Marlin made a lot of 'Branded' rifles for specific retailers.

Refinishing it won't hurt your resale value since it is a fairly new model. Whatever you do with it...your son is gonna have a great Christmas. Thank you for continuing the shooting and Marlin tradition.

4. greyhawk50

greyhawk50 Well-Known Member

Hey ya Everclean. Welcome to the forum.
    ^^^^ What Hyphenated said.^^^^ Enjoy the rifle. Should be great fun as well as practical.

5. Everclear

Everclear Member

///////////////////

How can I search the serial number if you are correct? This is a 336W and the s/n starts with WR60. I went to Marlin site & entered the entire s/n and was given the 1963 date. There are more numbers but I don' have the complete s/n now.
    I know newer Marlins you subtract 1st. 2 numbers from 100 but that would make this made in 1940.

Is it possible somebody added the Safety??

6. Rich1028

Rich1028 Well-Known Member

7. Hyphenated

Hyphenated Well-Known Member

Everclear....
    Adding a safety to your rifle I suppose is a possibility. What leads me to believe your rifle is a model for a distributor or retailer (Walmart, Western Auto, Monkey Wards, etc.) is the double letters in the serial number. Marlin only used double letters in the serial numbers in four years as follows:
    1965 - AA
    1966 - AB
    1967 - AC
    1968 - AD
    However, I have learned to never say never, because as soon as I do I am proved wrong. Marlin has in the past mixed and matched parts as needed. I have a few older ones that aren't exactly what the barrel designation states.

What is the barrel designation on the rifle? Is the wood walnut or some other hardwood with a stain applied?

8. blackrose

blackrose New Member

Sorry about that! It will make a very nice present regardless if it refinished or not. Myself, if it was not too bad, I would leave it as-is. Just my thoughts.......

9. Alanna

Alanna New Member

my dealer again gives mechanical problems that I'm thinking back to the barrel blue finish and stocks.