Marlin 336W/WS from Bud's

Discussion in 'General Chit-Chat' started by hombre243, Jul 17, 2014.

1. hombre243

hombre243 Well-Known Member

Has anyone purchased this combination? I am having a lot of trouble finding anything that shoots even halfway decent.

Update: I guess first things first. Do any forum members actually have this rifle? I am questioning the scope. If anyone has actual information on the scope that comes with the rifle I would like to hear it. Usually factory scopes are low quality. This one has a very clean sight picture. At least at a bit over 100 yards on plain paper I can see bullet holes.

But, if the insides get all shook up from the recoil then the scope should be replaced. Is there a visible clue to look for inside the scope to indicate that the guts are bad? I know the scope is solid and the mounts are not moving.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2014
  2. hombre243

[FONT=&quot]Looks like I am not shootin too bad. The 8" target 5 shot group is 2 3/8" measured from the 2 farthest holes, c-c. The 2 inch spots with 1 hole equal appx 1 MOA. Combining the 4 shots open the group but not by a lot. 2" between farthest apart holes on a 2" spot is about 2 MOA, correct? Not bad for a one eyed fat man. Photos added.[/FONT]

Attached Files:

3. Spoon

Spoon Well-Known Member

About $35 upcharge for the basic scope and mounts...reasonable, especially if it looks near as good as Bud's example pic. With those targets you posted spitting factory loads...darn good tool. You might miss a cottontail with it but not anything bigger. I agree, pretty good shooting for a man of experience with a factory fresh meat collector. Only way to make 'em better is getting the barrel settled in and finding the right recipe for a custom load. BUT...it's a lever; a hunter's rifle...not a one hole range piece. I'd be happy with its twin :D

4. hombre243

Thanks Spoon. I guess now I should remove the forend piece and see if there are wear marks, maybe sand down the barrel channel and around the inside-the-ring area to make sure there isn't a pressure point there.

I think it will be a good project for my "Round to it" collection.

Thanks for the help.
    h

PS Forgot to mention: Identical to Bud's photo. Posted is my rifle the day I got it.

PPS: I got some blems from a guy down in MO, and those 150's I got from him are the projectiles that peppered that target with the 2" spots.:D I may be askin for some more soon.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 19, 2014
  5. Spoon

Spoon Well-Known Member

Humm...might be able to find my way to the bullet place again! Your rifle looks as good or better than the Bud's pic. N-joy and lemme know if you need another batch of pills and I'll see what's available.

6. hombre243

Will do sir. Thanks.
    h

7. hombre243

7_20_14 Day at the range

Had a good day shootin and chronographing some loads. Looks like the marlin 336 is gettin smoothed out. The action is not near as stiff and even feels more silky.

I fired off some more low vel loads and none are very good...still about 15- fps to slow. Looks like another work day comin up soon.

The 308s are shooting great. Right now I have some very do-able 150 gr round nosed loads and some 180 gr Power Point. Now I need to work up some 150 gr Win PP loads and I will be good for a few hundred coyotes.

I actually shot a better 3 shot group with the 3030 than with the Savage. I think the Savage needs to get out more. After all it is less than a year old and the marlin is pushin 2.

Here is what I shot today:

Attached Files: