Marlin 80 DL

Discussion in 'Marlin Rimfires' started by jh45gun, Sep 2, 2012.

1. jh45gun

jh45gun Member

I see no one has mentioned these yet I have two of them a Marlin branded one and a Sears branded one. Both are tack drivers and a trigger job is easy with a spring out of a bic lighter (the long one in the middle of the lighter cut to size) and lightly honing the sear. I have 2 pound triggers on both of mine. I paid 50 for the Marlin branded one from a friend and I paid 130 for the Sears branded one at a gun show. Very nice bolt guns for the money. These were made from the late 40s to the early 70's. The later ones had the grooved receivers for scope mounting. Both of mine have that feature. They both are tapped for peep sights and neither of mine had them I think folks take them off and sell them as you can get almost as much for the peep sight as the gun.

2. kybeagle

kybeagle Member

The 80DL is one of my favorite Marlins of all. I bought one new back in the 60's to hunt squirrels with and loved it but somehow lost it years ago. So when I saw one just like it a while back on GB I just had to have it. A fine gun with a good solid reputation for quality and accuracy.

3. jyork89

jyork89 Member

New to gun world. Wife inherited a marlin 80dl from grandpa he died in early 80s. Gun needs tlc. Wonder how old it is and how I can find out. Does anyone have any ideas?

4. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Lifetime Supporting

Welcome to the Marlin Firearms Forum jyork89 !!

Marlin made the Model 80DL beginning in 1941 ending in 1964.

This rifle is designed to shoot .22 Short, Long & Long Rifles cartridges and has a 7 round detachable magazine.

The DL's of any bolt action Marlin rifle came equipped with a peep sight and sling swivels.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1962 catalog ad...check those prices !!

I myself own a Model 80C...with no serial number anywhere on the rifle.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2012
  5. jyork89

jyork89 Member

Shooter

Thanks for the info. This gun also has no serial number. What is the significance to that. My brother in law kept telling me this gun was a hundred years old. I had a lot of trouble with that.

I would like to break it down clean a rebuild it. I'm told the last time it was shot the magazine exploded. That was about 20 yrs ago. Any websites for out there newbies

6. jh45gun

jh45gun Member

Shooter their must be variations. Both of my DLs the Marlin marked one and the Sears one did not come with peep sights BUT both were bought at gun shows I highly suspect that the peep sights were taken off and sold as I am sure they can get good money for them. No big deal to me as I have them scoped anyway. Why I am saying variations is my Sears branded one does have the sling swivels exactly like the ones pictured. My Marlin one does not have them and the stock is not drilled for them. The stock is also blondish beech or birch on the Marlin and the stock is not relieved for the peep sight. It is on the Sears one.

7. SHOOTER13

Of course there are variations jh... when Marlin does a special run for Sears or whoever, the run is determined by the buyer.

It could be as simple as the Sears logo or lack of peep sights / swivels...or it could be like Lew Horton and the S&W line of revolvers...

the Lew Horton's will be unique because LH set the standard...whether it be a 3" barrel or chamfered cylinders.

That being said, when Marlin makes a DL for Marlin...the standard is peep sights and swivels.

If you want a reference, google Marlin 80DL. Hope that helps...

8. SHOOTER13

1968 Gun Control Act

The Gun Control Act of 1968... (both of our guns were manufactured prior)

Marking Requirements

The law also required that all newly-manufactured firearms produced by licensed manufacturers in the United States and imported into the United States bear a serial number. Firearms manufactured prior to the Gun Control Act and firearms manufactured by non-FFLs remain exempt from the serial number requirement. Defacement or removal of the serial number (if present) is a felony offense.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_Control_Act_of_1968

9. jh45gun

jh45gun Member

The Sears is more true to the breed I think than the Marlin one was unless maybe the Marlin had a stock change? Did the DL's in Marlin come with birch stocks> This one has one and the stock covers the screws for the peep sight have the bottom third covered by the stock so no way could a peep sight be mounted with this stock. Replaced maybe? The Sears one the screw holes are mot covered so maybe a peep sight could have been mounted as there was room below the screw holes. On both stocks there is no cut out wood the stock goes straight where the screw holes are. Did they ever cut out for the peep sights? On these stocks there is not cut out. Here is some pictures of the guns so you can see what the stocks look like. I do not have pictures of the screw holes but I think that is self explanatory. The Sears one is birch also but looks a bit nicer than the blond Marlin one.
    Sears
    [​IMG]

Marlin
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 29, 2012
  10. SWO1

SWO1 Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporting

Was at my gun shop yesterday. A guy came in selling 2 shotguns and a .22. The owner bought the shotguns but passed on the .22. I stood off not getting involved in his transactions. When they were done I asked to see the .22. It was a JC Higgins bolt, s, l, lr, with 7 shot mag. The reciever was groved for scope. Wood was OK and trigger was real good. Bolt was smooth and it had sling swivels. Only damage was the plastic butt piece was broken on the top end. He wanted $50 for it. My instinct said BUY IT, but I didnt.

On research I believe it to be a Marlin model 80 DL. Think I will go back today and get his Name, # and contact him.....What does anyone think ???

11. ihaveguns46

ihaveguns46 New Member

Marlin Model 81 DL

i have a marlin model 81 dl with the letter A stamped on the receiver does that mean its the year it was made?not sure.i can fit 15 cartridges in the tube and it shoot great i love it :)

12. jh45gun

jh45gun Member

I would get it I paid 50 for the blond stocked one above from a friend who wanted to see me get into silhouette shooting. I liked it so well when I found the Sears branded on at a gun shop for 130 I did not hesitate I felt it too was a bargain considering the quality of the gun and how accurate they are.

13. jyork89

jyork89 Member

Hello again,

I dropped off a Marlin 80DL 22cal. At a local gun shop to get cleaned and buy a clip for. That was two weeks ago. Went in today and the hasn't even started on "because the cant find a clip for it". Does this seem strange?

14. SHOOTER13

I got clips for mine through Numrich Gun Parts...

15. jyork89

jyork89 Member

Thanks I just ordered my clip. Now I just need to find a shop to clean it. How long should it take to clean?

16. SHOOTER13

15-30 minutes tops...I would tell the gun shop to give it back and thanks for nothing.

You should learn to clean and maintain it yourself anyway....

17. jyork89

jyork89 Member

I absolutely agree. My concern is this rifle hasn't been shot in 20yrs and rumor is the last time the clip blew apart. Just want an experienced person to check it out first. This was my wife's rifle as a little girl and now will be my daughters. Can't take the chance.

18. jyork89

jyork89 Member

Thank you for your help

19. rbart48

rbart48 Well-Known Member

More info on the trigger job

The Marlin 80DL was my first gun. My parents let me buy it when I was in 8th grade (1961-62) school year. I had joined a gun club in my Junior High School. (Imagine that, a Maryland Public School allowing a gun club!) I wanted to join a local gun club outside of school but I needed to have my own gun.

I am interested in learning more about the trigger job. I have recently began shooting again at a local range. While the trigger is not bad, I would like to reduce the trigger pull a bit. The trigger on the 80DL is so much better than the one on my other Marlin, the 989M2 semi-automatic. Any help in this regard would be appreciated.

By the way, I still have the old peep sight, but replaced it with a Lyman peep sight which was so much easier to adjust. The original had a lever system that you loosened the screw and then guessed how much you had to adjust it up or down. I don't think they make the Lyman sight anymore.

20. dads81-DL

dads81-DL Well-Known Member

I have my dads ole 81-dl. It is a great shooter. Nice smooth trigger. He bought it when he was around 12 old,1946 or so. It had the peep sight,but was taken off for and has the elevated sight. My brother has the peep, but wants to keep it. But hey..... I have the 81-dl