Marlin Dates Of Manufacture

Discussion in 'General Marlin Discussion' started by FOUR4D4, Jan 20, 2012.

1. FOUR4D4

FOUR4D4 Moderator Moderator

Last edited: Jan 20, 2012
  2. Hyphenated

Hyphenated Well-Known Member

This site was out of commission for awhile. Glad to see it back up and thanks for posting.

3. axxe55

axxe55 Well-Known Member

Marlin Glenfield Model 60 question

okay i tried to use the site to date my M60, but it just didn't work. it puts it at about 1958, and i know that's not correct. what i can gather by features is this, 21" barrel, holds 18 rounds in the tube, has no LSHO feature, and is rollmarked GLENFIELD MOD. 60 The Marlin Firearms Co. i had it narrowed down to made before 1984, as in about 1985 they started adding the LSHO feature. found out that about 1981 or 82, they stopped using the Glenfield in the name. it has an eight digit SN, and is 2R0033XX. any help determining it's age or year of manufacture would be appreciated. thanks.

4. Centman

Centman New Member

Model

Hi,

I bought an old but very reliable and accurate Mossberg 308 with serial number 26931, can you tell me when it was manufactured.

Many Thanks

5. axxe55

axxe55 Well-Known Member

only suggestion i can make is to try and Google Mossberg and see if there are any forums or you might try Mossberg customer service and see if they might be able to either tell you when it was made or some source in locating the information. good luck, i hope this helps.

6. kawa

kawa Member

Strange serial number (Maybe)

I recently acquired a Mdl 1894 S .44 Mag, 20" BBL in pristine condition. It has fine checkering on the stock as well as the forearm.

The serial number is the strange part of this rifle it is 000272XX. When I tried to use the date of manufacture site I first tried "00" as the first two numbers. It didn't like that so I skipped all of the zero's and tried "27" that came back as 1973. Not sure if that is correct. I then went up to the other site and entered the entire serial number and that came back as being manufactured in 1889, this too is doubtful as it has a cross bolt safety.

I have looked at other Marlin lever actions and most have letters preceding the numbers of the serial number.

Any input will be appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Rog

7. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Lifetime Supporting

Welcome to the Marlin Forum kawa !!

kawa wrote: "I have looked at other Marlin lever actions and most have letters preceding the numbers of the serial number."

OK...did you plug in the letter O instead of zeros in the first two spaces...?!

8. kawa

kawa Member

Thanks for the response Shooter 13, the digits are not O's they are defiantly zero's but just for grins and giggles I did as you suggested and got negative results.

This is indeed a mystery. I'm very happy with the weapon but would like to know a little about it's origin.

Rog

9. Hyphenated

Kawa.....
    On the newer rifles you subtract the first two digits from 100. It requires a little more thought after the year 2000, but here's how it works.
    100 - 23XXXX = 1977
    100 - 20XXXX = 1980
    100 - 00XXXX = 2000
    100 - 93XXXX = 2007
    This system applies to rifles built from 1969 to at least 2009 when they were bought out by Remington. Marlin started with a numbering system in the 1800's then they went to a letter prefix for a few years. I am not 100% sure what Remington is doing now, but I know the letters MR are in the serial number. I hope this helps.

10. kawa

kawa Member

Mystery solved (Kinda) I contacted Marlin Firearms Co. and was told by "Patty" based on the entire serial number my weapon is a "1894 44 Mag lever action mfg. in the year 2000". She had no further explanation as to the oddity of the number or when this sequence was started.

Thank you all for all of your input. now I guess I'll just go out and see if I can burn the barrel out of it. :D

11. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Lifetime Supporting

Well...glad it worked out for ya !

Post a range report when you find the time...

Last edited: Dec 26, 2012
  12. Hyphenated

What mystery still needs to be solved?:confused: This number is not an oddity and is in the correct sequence since used by Marlin from 1969 until now. Patty apparently called in sick the day they were teaching Remington employees the serial number system.

13. Lone_Ranger2007

Lone_Ranger2007 Member

@ Hyphenated, then an 1894 with the number 94xxxxx would have been manufactured in 2006? I had been looking for one for the past year, was waiting for Remington to get their act together, but today I called one of the local shops and they had one that someone had just traded. I have it on layaway now....since I already had ordered a new Beretta...

Also, the previous owner purchased another Marlin and just swaped the scope bases from the 1894 to the new rifle...and did not put the cap or plug screws back into the reciever of the 1894, anyone think Marlin would send me 4? Not sure I want to scope this gun..

Last edited: Dec 24, 2012
  14. Hyphenated

You are correct on the date. Congrats you have landed a nice pre-Remington Marlin lever action rifle. Rifles with serial numbers that start with the number 93 (2007) are considered the last safe bets when buying a Marlin lever gun.

Marlin should be able to sell you the plug screws you need. However, it does not work out you can try Numrich Arms or Brownells.

15. Lone_Ranger2007

Lone_Ranger2007 Member

Thanks! This had been on my list for a couple years and it just worked out at the right time. I still can't believe the guy traded it. It looks perfect except for those missing screws.

16. dschwarz

dschwarz New Member

Trying to learn more about a Marlin I am working on. Here's what I know so far...This is a Marlin Model 39 Lever Action in .22s,l,or lr. I believe this is an early PRE WAR gun with a 4-digit serial number, #30xx with NO PREFIX. The gun has an octagon barrel with tube mag, peep sight, flip up front site, takedown, case hardened receiver and lever, S-shaped pistol grip stock, hard rubber butt plate. There is a little rust that was lightly cleaned and oiled. I hope the pictures will do it justice. Any idea what year it was made and what it is worth?

Attached Files:

17. 1894

1894 Well-Known Member

What is stamped on the tang ? Under the tang sight .

18. dschwarz

dschwarz New Member

Under the tang site

It says Marlin Mod. 39. It's partially covered by a thin paper shim that I did not remove when I cleaned it.

[​IMG]

19. 1894

1894 Well-Known Member

Is there any chance that there may be another digit on the serial # ? Light stamped or worn down and hard to see ?

20. dschwarz

dschwarz New Member

No, that's definitely it. Four digits. I saw another like it posted somewhere that I actually copied a lot of my description from.