Marlin GLenfield 25 vs. Marlin 25n

Discussion in 'Marlin Rimfires' started by dwcfastrice, Jun 13, 2012.

1. dwcfastrice

dwcfastrice Member

Anyone know the difference?

I'm trying to rebuild a Marlin/Glenfield 25 and have found lots of parts for the 25N. Wondering what the differences were.

Is there a modern version of the 25?

thx
    Dave

2. axxe55

axxe55 Well-Known Member

Dave check out the post i left for you in the gunsmithing thread.

3. Vet47

Vet47 Member

By coincidence I have a Glenfield 25 and a Marlin 25N, so I took them out to compare. The Glenfield 25 is from 1978 and uses the old style of magazine with the release lever built into it. The magazine clips onto a metal piece up inside the mag well. The Marlin 25N is from 1995 and uses the newer style magazine. That gun has the mag release built into the base of the mag well as part of the rifle. The bolts seem a little different as well. I checked Numrich's and the parts numbers are different for the bolts so I think they are not interchangeable.
    I would guess that many parts are similar, and some may be interchangeable, but not all. I know the older style mags are available because I just bought a couple, but they are getting pricey. I paid almost $45 for two shipped from Dick Williams.
    Check Numrich's or Brownells for specific parts.

4. axxe55

axxe55 Well-Known Member

Vet47, thank you for sharing that information. i could tell both were bolt actions but really couldn't tell any other differences from the schematics. i have to agree, that if the part numbers are different, they probably won't interchange.

i am sure Dave will find this helpful, and again thank you for looking at yours and helping out. very much appreciated by all.:D

5. 2barcharlie

2barcharlie Member

In addition to the changes you have noted, I believe the safety was also changed. It seems that everywhere I look, the safety is always noted as to old or new. I have a 1970 model 25 but do not have a 25N to compare.