Marlin Model 60 jams

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing' started by CLK-IDAHO, Mar 30, 2013.

1. CLK-IDAHO

CLK-IDAHO Member

I have two Model 60's and both like to jam more than I am happy with and have had this problem since I have owned them (both were purchased used). Instead of ejecting the shell out the ejection port, both guns at time will have the fired casing stay inside the ejection port and jam the rifle. I disassemble the rifles after shooting, clean all parts, and lightly oil them before reassembly. Any help rectifying this problem would be greatly appreciated.

2. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Lifetime Supporting

Moved to the correct subforum: Gunsmithing

3. CLK-IDAHO

CLK-IDAHO Member

Makes sense to me. New here so will eventually learn my way around.

4. Mongo

Mongo Member

5. Greywolfdk

Greywolfdk New Member

I had a similar problem, and had to actually punch the shell out of the chamber.. Sounds like the brass of the ammo is not pure.. Allowing the cartridge to expand and jam in the chamber.. try different ammo, and see it this resolves the problem..

6. lingr

lingr Well-Known Member

Or the chamber might have peening.

7. hombre243

hombre243 Well-Known Member

My first thought

If the rifles were dry fired to the extent the chamber mouths are dented, there could be burrs scraping against the brass and causing ejection problems. I wonder, even though it has not happened to me, if there is sufficient burr to interfere with ejection can it also interfere with chambering the next cartridge? It seems it would have to be a pretty good sized burr to do that.

8. CLK-IDAHO

CLK-IDAHO Member

Appreciate all the help and suggestions. Haven't had a case stick in the barrel. They just fall to the inside of the ejection port instead of being thrown out. Next time I have it apart, I will check chamber mouth and extractor/ejector. Haven't much of a problem with stove piping except with really cheap bulk ammo and then not all that often. The cases not ejecting out the port is the biggest problem.

9. hombre243

CLK-IDAHO
    I will check chamber mouth and extractor/ejector. Sounds like extractor/ejector...good thought.

10. oldbrass

oldbrass Well-Known Member

scrub the chamber real good,If its pitted or real carboned up put a brass bore brush on a drill with some hoppes or similar cleaner and clean away. The ejector could be gummed up also..It would be great to clean the bolt in an ultrasonic cleaner if you know who has one,if not soak it a few days in solvent..If this doesn`t cure it take it to a smith to check out

11. CLK-IDAHO

CLK-IDAHO Member

Thank you Old Brass, sure like your suggestions and next time I have it apart, will do all that including the early suggestion of possible preening.

12. hombre243

Good idea

Thanks brass, that's the best idea I never had. I will remember to use this if I have troubles too.