Misfire in a 336CS from 1986

Discussion in 'Lever Action' started by chefmarlin, Nov 18, 2012.

1. chefmarlin

chefmarlin Member

I got this gun for a birthday recently and it was not shooting properly. I read a lot about these guns' action being pretty rough.mine however didn't seem to work this way. I disassembled the gun to get a better look and clean each part and noticed after I had placed the spring and the piece the holds the spring that pushes the hammer down. I put these in place where they should be and when I was finished noticed a significant difference in the working of the action is it possible for the spring guard to to slip out of place and cause the hammer to not hit he pin as hard as it should

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 18, 2012
  2. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Lifetime Supporting

Welcome to the Marlin Firearms Forum chefmarlin !!

Post a picture of your 1986 Marlin 336CS when you find the time...

3. Rich1028

Rich1028 Well-Known Member

yes...Welcome to the forum!
    and post up a picture of your Rifle.

4. Bucky

Bucky Well-Known Member

Welcome abord "chefmarlin"

Need more info about your 336 pls
    Cheers
    Bucky

5. chefmarlin

chefmarlin Member

Wat do you need to know about it?

6. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Lifetime Supporting

How about a range report...what brand ammo is shoots best...if you use it

for hunting or target...and oh, yea...a picture !

Of course, if you don't want to tell us, we understand... :rolleyes:

7. chefmarlin

chefmarlin Member

Well like I had mentioned before it was misfiring so I disassembled it and found wen it removed the wood stock the spring had be moving freely ( not good) but I've got it back in place now and today I fired 19 out of 20 rounds. Any suggestion how I can get 20for20

8. Centaur 1

Centaur 1 Member

Try disassembling the firing pin from the bolt. Make sure there's no grease, crud or metal burrs that could slow down the firing pin. I put the firing pin back in mine without oil or grease, because it just attracts dirt.

9. tedk

tedk New Member

mine was doing same thing,i put strong rubber bands around hammer and attached up front and black taped secure ,now it fires every time .

10. chefmarlin

chefmarlin Member

I've got that fixed now thanks everyone for your help. But now I've been shooting without the scope and notice my front sight looks off to the left and rear sight looks off to right WTF!!!

11. Bucky

Bucky Well-Known Member

Need to know I you have been dismantling your 336.
    Maybe different rounds.
    Happened to me once, with my .444 Marlin, and after 5 or 6 attempts, I considered it safe enuf to pull it apart.
    Oops ...... No powder
    Der me

12. chefmarlin

chefmarlin Member

Are you responding to the misfire or the sights?

13. chefmarlin

chefmarlin Member

Are you talkin bout the misfire or sights? I'm happy to give insight or take advice

14. Bucky

Bucky Well-Known Member

Chefmarlin

Sorry I did not get back to you ! A night shift thing

With regards to your sights, I did read an article on the Forum somewhere, that Marlin quality dropped off, after Remington started making them.

As far as you having the odd misfire, I suggest that you look at cleaning the whole firing mechanism.
    Maybe check out the length. Of the pins, andante gat a new main spring.
    There is a trigger kit out there, which a Mate put into his 45-70, and it's now as smooth as.
    All worth considering .

15. Rooster59

Rooster59 Well-Known Member

What you are describing with your sights, given it is a 1986 model, is likely that the front bead and the rear buckhorn have been drifted in their dovetails left and right. That's why they are mounted in a dovetail. In order to enable windage adjustment to get them parallel with the bore.

A little drift one way or the other is not a big deal. Sometimes, the reason being beyond my technical knowledge, it takes quite a bit of drift to get them to align with bullet impact. I have about 8 lever action rifles with iron sights. They all require a bit of what appears to be misalignment to actually get the sights aligned with bullet impact points.

Now if you are talking about the sights being installed on the barrel at an angle other than at 12 o'clock then the dovetails were not cut perfectly when the barrel was made. No simple solution for that.