Mod 60 inner mag tube R&R

Discussion in 'Marlin Rimfires' started by oafdawg, Jul 18, 2012.

1. oafdawg

oafdawg Member

Does anyone know the correct way to disassemble the inner mag tube, if possible, for the Mod 60? Seems like the spring is binding inside and doesn't feed the entire contents of the mag. The follower doesn't engage the spring unless it's pushed about 3 inches into the tube.

2. axxe55

axxe55 Well-Known Member

Numrich or Brownell's have some good exploded veiws and schematics of the M60. numrich is also a good source for parts for the M60 rifles.

sounds like either the innet tube may have a dent or ding or slightly bent, or possibly the spring is getting weak. either of which should be easy fixes.

3. oafdawg

oafdawg Member

No one has an exploded view of the inner mag tube. And yes, it would prolly be easy to fix IF I COULD FIGURE OUT HOW TO DISASSEMBLE IT!

4. axxe55

axxe55 Well-Known Member

Oafdawg, do me a favor take some detailed pictures of the part you are trying to disassemble and i will look at mine and see if we can get your problem fixed or see what parts you might need to order.

5. oafdawg

oafdawg Member

It's the inner magazine tube. Seems like either the spring inside is binding or somehow got shorter. The orange follower can go about 3" into the tube before it hits the spring.

[​IMG]

6. oafdawg

oafdawg Member

This is just a stock photo. The one I have the orange follower does not stick out from spring pressure, it must be pulled out or allowed to just fall out from gravity if I tilt the tube down. I need to disassemble this tube. The pin that locks the inner tube to the outer will not come out with a punch and I see no other way to take it apart.

7. axxe55

axxe55 Well-Known Member

from what i can gather, and looking at mine, you have to buy the entire assembly. doesn't look to be any parts available to repair it. Numrich seems to have them. just have to determine which one you have in order to get the right one. if yours is the newer 14 shot magazine tube, try Brownells.

8. oafdawg

oafdawg Member

Yes, I know Numrich has tubes (nobody else seems to have any in stock) but I figured if I could get it apart I might be able to save the owner 30 bucks by getting it open to see what was wrong inside. It belongs to the guy who's rebuilding my uncles 1928 Model A Ford roadster. If I could get at the guts of it I'm sure I have a spring around to fit it.

9. axxe55

axxe55 Well-Known Member

looking at mine, it appears that the pin that locates on the outer tube is brazed, welded or soldered to the inner tube. if you mess up the inner tube trying to get the pin out, you will end up having to get another inner tube assembly anyways. now, my suggestion would be, to try a dremel tool and very carefully cut the opposite side of the pin and then support the inner tube and then very carefully see if you can drive the pin out. it appears the pin is what holds the end plug and the spring in the inner tube. now if you make it this far and get it apart without destroying the tube, find a wooden dowel the that will fit inside the tube and use it to straighten the tube. also clean and lightly oil the inner tube and put it back together and see if it works.

if this doesn't work, then you will more than likely have to just go ahead and buy another inner tube assembly. but it might work.