Model 49

Discussion in 'Marlin Rimfires' started by Fomdiddle, Jan 25, 2012.

1. Fomdiddle

Fomdiddle Well-Known Member

I just picked up a 49 yesterday. It needs a little work but it's one of the only Marlin autoloaders I have seen with walnut stocks. In need to find an inner magazine tube and a forearm screw. Fom

2. axxe55

axxe55 Well-Known Member

try Numrich gun parts, www.gunpartscorp.com or try Brownell's. both of those might have the parts you need to fix up that model 49 rifle. hope this helps you out.

did a search on Numrich, they carry a lot of parts on there for the model 49, looks like even the parts you are looking for.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2012

3. Fomdiddle

4. axxe55

axxe55 Well-Known Member

your welcome. glad i could help.

5. Big Shrek

Big Shrek Well-Known Member

6. 1894

1894 Well-Known Member

7. Fomdiddle

Alright already, I'll do pics as soon as I get back to my camera. Fom

8. Fomdiddle

I've got an inner mag tube and a stock screw on order from Numrich. A
    soon as they get here I plan to do some before and after targets and photos. Fom

9. Speed_Shooter

Speed_Shooter Member

I have one, that is one of the first ones made. The wood is really nice, but there was some bluing loss on the barrel and mag tube were folks must have been holding it when loading. It shoots really well.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Actually the sticker was still on the forearm, you can see it if you look closely in the pics.

10. FOUR4D4

FOUR4D4 Moderator Moderator

Give the man a break :)

11. myg30

myg30 Member

What year are we talking about on these 49's ? I can't recall ever seeing one in a gun rack at a pawn shop ?
    Now I think I might want one to keep my 60 company.

Mike

12. Speed_Shooter

Speed_Shooter Member

Mine is the 49, before they switched to the 49DL. I think mine is a 1967 model, but I'd have to look at it to be sure. Check Brophy's book for the years the 49 and 49DL were made.

Last edited: Feb 29, 2012
  13. Fomdiddle

Mine is before the switch to the checkered as well. I got the inner mag tube the other day and it would not go into the outer tube. It seems there is a sliver next to the split in the tube that bent down. That explains why the tube was missing when I got it. I slid the outer tube up through the sight/barrel band and used a pick to pull it to the outside then cut it off with side cutters. A small file smoothed it up and I put it back together. The inner tube will go in now but is tight. I may need to clean it with a brass brush and solvent. I hope that loosens it up. I ordered the front stock screw at the same time but numrich didn't send it and there is no mention of it on the ticket so I guess I will have to pay ridiculous shipping again for one little screw. I am going to call and complain. I know Midway will make good on snafus like that but I doubt Numrich will. Oh well, enough griping. Y'all have a nice evening. Fom

PS Nice looking gun Speed Shooter. Mine is a little more ragged than yours. Fom

14. Big Shrek

Big Shrek Well-Known Member

The model 49 was made from 1968-1971...the DL from 1971-1978 :)
    DL has scrollwork on both sides of the reciever & checkering on the stocks.

15. the nitro man

the nitro man New Member

i have a 49dl on the way, i just won it Saturday. i think i will have to re stain the stock. i hope the bluing is good & the paint on the receiver, but if it isn't i don't care to tackle that too. i wish it didn't have the scroll work on the receiver. i think it would look better plain.