Model 60

Discussion in 'Marlin Rimfires' started by duster066, Feb 11, 2012.

1. duster066

duster066 Well-Known Member Supporting

Well there needs to be a model 60 thread. My first gun was a Glenfield 60. Carried that gun around the KS brush for years. It became an awesome Whistle Pig and Marlin killer in Id. Both were pests at the airport I worked at, and I got volunteered to take care of business. It was of course a losing battle, but I had fun trying. I now have a 700, a Big 5 mod 70. It is every bit the shooter the 60 was in a shorter barrel. It would be challenged at 100 yd vs Whistle Pigs and Marlins, but at 75 yd they'd be toast. I use a cheap BSA 5 MOA red dot, and it's hard to miss cans with it. I bought a Ruger for my youngest and I don't like it as well. It is heavier, the magazine is a pain, the stock bolt release is clumsy, and it doesn't shoot as good. It is more reliable though.

2. greyhawk50

greyhawk50 Well-Known Member

I have a 2006 Marlin Mod. 60. It's not a Target Grade Rifle but it is a Shooter. ;)
    I mounted a BSA 4X scope on it.

Attached Files:

3. axxe55

axxe55 Well-Known Member

i agree, the M60 needs it's own seperate thread! they have only made millions of them since 1960. great shooting little rifles. i bought one very well used last year and cleaned it up, refinished it and mounted a scope on it. i just wouldn't think of selling it!

Attached Files:

4. myg30

myg30 Member

I like my Glenfield marlin 60. Good shooter. Also have a 25 bolt that shoots real well.
    When we are gone, what will kids shoot with ?

Mike

5. axxe55

axxe55 Well-Known Member

airsoft or paintball! i am very partial to my M60.

6. duster066

An airsoft or paintball at 100yd vs Starlines? Gotta save a few mod 60s for the kids.

7. axxe55

axxe55 Well-Known Member

duster, i am almost 50 and i have never had kids, so there isn't any legacy for me!

8. mrvalpyro

mrvalpyro Active Member

Love My M60 the whole family loves them mom has one she bought before i was born and is now and still shoots like a dream. Uncle has an SS model that he keeps pristine.. I bought my wife a 795 an she loves it. Couldn'tt think of a better line of 22.s

9. axxe55

axxe55 Well-Known Member

the M60 is one of the best selling 22lr semi auto's there is. they came out in 1960, and Marlin has sold something like 13 million of them since then. they are accurate, inexpensive and reliable. and they are just plain fun to shoot! i do enjoy shooting mine and have shot around 2000 rounds through it and who knows how many were shot through it before i owned it. it still shoots pretty accurate for and old M60. i bought mine used, have determined it to have been made in the very early 80's. i paid $70 + tax for it, and it was awful sad looking but functioned perfectly. i stripped it down, cleaned it up, refinished the wood and metal, bought some rings for it, mounted a scope i already had, and still have less than a $100 in it. i'll buy another if i find one!

10. Bearhands

Bearhands Well-Known Member

.... So far, I am thrilled with my new 60SB.... couldn't be happier. Well, I WILL be happier after I get the stones to install the trigger spring kit :D . Had it to the range the other day and tried several brands of ammo (CCI Standard,Federal Match,CCI MiniMags and Fed American Eagle)... Oddly, it really likes the American Eagle! I am surprised. The best group(of 5 shots) was just over 1/4" @ 25 yrds and 3 other groups of 1/2"!..... it's going to be a great shooter!

11. Bearhands

So I'm even happier today... my son told me he was getting me the MCARBO trigger kit for my birthday next week :)! I've had it to the range in the past week and I 'm NOT at all disappointed!... can't wait to install the new springs etc.

12. duster066

I've never had any troubles with American Eagle or any other ammo in my mod 60 variants. They are good guns.

13. axxe55

axxe55 Well-Known Member

Bear, tell me about this MCARBO trigger kit. i am interested in this for my M60.

14. Bearhands

Axxe
    Here is a Youtube link that explains it...

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AEs4jOd1lBI[/ame]

I can't wait to install it!..... While the trigger is currently acceptable, it's still very stiff compared to some of my other 22's. The claim is (and has been heartily attested to on another forum) that the stock trigger is about a 6 lb pull. This kit is supposed to take that down to about 3.5lb.

15. axxe55

axxe55 Well-Known Member

thanks Bear. where can you get it at? and how much are they?

16. Bearhands

Axxe,

You have to email the guy "Mike"...

mcarbo2012@gmail.com

Cost is 24.95 plus 5.00 shipping.

17. axxe55

axxe55 Well-Known Member

thanks for the information Bear.

18. Bearhands

Any one have Tech Sights installed on their 60? If so, I'd love to see a pic of the sight picture. TIA

BH

FOUND IT! GOOGLE IS MY FRIEND!

Last edited: Mar 23, 2012
  19. Bearhands

So, the spring kit was installed by my sons and yes, it worked! :D The pull is substantially less and I am very happy with the result! Now onto the Tech Sights and the possible installation of a sling! This is one really nice rifle that I'll be able to pass down with pride.

20. wjjones

wjjones Well-Known Member

My dad bought the one I have in 1976 I restored it, and as mentioned will never let it go.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 6, 2012