model 99 m1 feed throat question

Discussion in 'Marlin Rimfires' started by 0rion, Jan 14, 2014.

1. 0rion

0rion Member

I'm in the process of getting my dad's old model 99 back into working condition. Several years ago I ordered the feed throat conversion for it. Just getting around to installing it but having an issue. The spring that came with it seems to short to hook into the hole & even when I get it in the feed throat acts like it's too tall. I can,t get it to bolt in. Does the bolt also have to be changed when doing the conversion & can I use the stock spring & lifter with the new style throat?

2. 0rion

0rion Member

ok....got some of it figured out. The spring went under the lifter and not in the hole so that part is taken care of. The bolt is different and is tapered near the top. I was thinking about grinding the corner of the feed throat off so it will fit inside the bolt versus buying a new bolt. Bad idea? Good idea?

The next issue are the clips that lock the sear shaft to the outside......I was missing both clips when I took it apart. Anyone know the size of those other than "really tiny"? haha We have a pretty good hardware store here in town and I was going to see if they have any that small. Numrich will have them but they'll be $7 for the clips and another $10 to ship them. I try not to pay more in shipping than parts when I can....just seems like a waste.

3. 0rion

0rion Member

quick update.....I got the gun up and shooting correctly. I ground the one side of the new feed throat down so the bolt would fit over it. Worked like a charm. I just gotta order those locks that go on the end of the sear pin and it'll be good as new. I ran about 30 or so shells through it without a single jam which hasn't happened since the mid 90's when I stopped shooting it. Felt good to finally get some shells through it. That gun has seen a lot and been through a lot. In the mid 90's it was in a gun rack in my truck window. I rolled the truck over and broke the stock in half. I modified a model 60 stock to work but in the last few years I wanted to put it back to looking like it used too. I ordered parts here and there for it and they sat in my gun cabinet for a bunch of years. My son started hunting this year so I decided it was time to get the gun back in shape so he can one day have it. My dad bought it new in '68 and handed it down to me in '88. I've killed many a squirrels and rabbits with that thing. Time to pass the torch to my son and let him get busy with it......in a few years. :D Right now I'm going to have some fun with it first.

4. lingr

lingr Well-Known Member

Way to go Orion. Glad you got it working. Send a pic when you get a chance. We like pics. :D

5. Gumpy

Gumpy AKA Richard Prestage

Amen to that! We love pictures. I'm glad you have it workin good. Time to break in the next generation.

6. 0rion

0rion Member

I'll try to get a picture of it at some point and post up. Not really sure how proud I am of the looks right now. I will probably end up trying to redo it at some point.
    The gun was in a gun rack in the back window of my truck in the mid 90's and I rolled the truck over. It broke the stock in half. I picked up a model 60 stock and modified it to work and used that for a couple years before the jam issue just got to be too much then I put it in the cabinet and left it there.
    I picked up parts over the years to get it back into stock form. One of those was a used stock through numrich. Then this year I bought a new barrel cover and started putting it back together. A few things stood out early on in the process that something just wasn't right. The used stock they sent me had the wrong style barrel clamp with it and there were no screw holes in it for the top piece. I'm not sure what gun that stock is from but cosmetically it's very close to the 99 stock....just looks like a few small differences with that top piece.
    I sanded it down since it was scratched up and tried to stain it to match the top piece. I noticed that it's just a different type of wood than the upper piece.The first attempt wasn't even close so I resanded both pieces again and got it a lot closer the second time but they're still not the same. The top piece came out a little darker than the bottom.
    That's where I'm at currently with it. It's all close but it's not exact and it's not really something I think I would show off to anyone until I got it to match better. It all goes back to that used stock being from either a different model of 99 or an older 60 or something. Somewhere over the years I also lost some pieces to it or something because I couldn't find a few pieces and had to order stuff. It now has a silver trigger which I know isn't right but I do have a gold trigger but it's in a model 60 style assembly which is wider at the back than the 99 so it won't fit in the stock. The gun shoots and unless you know what to look for most people wouldn't catch some of the inconsistencies other than the top piece not quite matching. It's not a gun I hope to make money on at any point in time.....I just wanted it back together and shooting correctly so I can someday pass it down to my son.

7. 0rion

0rion Member

ok....a few pics to show you guys what I mean:

Here's the difference in triggers and assemblies which is no big deal. I'll just transfer the gold trigger over to the narrow assembly
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

here's the difference in color between the top piece and the stock. This actually bothers me quite a bit so I'll definitely have to figure this out. I may just try to find a complete used stock from a 99 that all matches.
    [​IMG]

here's the difference in clamps...the one on the bottom is the one that came with the used stock. Like I say....it's either a little different model of 99 or an older 60 or something. I've never seen one that used this type of clamp though. Everything about the 99 fit into the stock though. The top piece seems to be the only difference.
    [​IMG]

8. 0rion

0rion Member

overall shot of the gun:
    [​IMG]

I definitely have made good progress on getting it back right but I'm a bit of a perfectionist when I can be and I'm not all that happy with it. I have a functioning complete gun here but I want it to all be right so I still have some work to do on it.

9. 0rion

0rion Member

me and my son ran another 50-60 shells through it yesterday. Zero jams which made me extremely happy but we did have 2 misfires. The ammo I'm shooting was bought back in the 90's so it could just be old ammo but I'm betting that hammer spring is a little weak. It's easy and cheap to replace so I'll probably just order one when I order the sear pin clips and replace it all at the same time. I'm just happy it's feeding like it should. My son looks at me like I'm crazy when I get excited about it....for that matter so does my wife....but they don't know what it's like to deal with a jamming gun for 20 years and finally get it fixed. :D