Mossberg 30/30

Discussion in 'Other Marlin Rifles' started by Kentucky_Transplant, Feb 25, 2012.

1. Kentucky_Transplant

Kentucky_Transplant Active Member

Bought a decent Mossberg 30/30 lever action at a local pawn shop today. Overall decent condition but I think I'm going to refinish the stocks. Didn't know until today that Mossberg even made any 30/30's but the price was right............. At least I have a project for the next few days!

2. axxe55

axxe55 Well-Known Member

gotta show pictures! how much was the final price?

3. Hyphenated

Hyphenated Well-Known Member

4. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Lifetime Supporting

Yea...you hooked us, now where's the pics !? :D

5. Kentucky_Transplant

[​IMG] Well here it is: It's all tore apart in pieces right now. I picked it up for $225. The wood stock had several chips. In the process of refinishing the stocks now and cleaning all the metal. I replaced the scope on it with one I picked up a few weeks ago at an auction. Don't know if I got the best of deals but so far I'm pretty pleased with it. I'll try to post another pic later this week when it is done.

Kelly
    Henderson, Kentucky

6. Hyphenated

That's a nice looking rifle. I think you got a good deal.

7. greyhawk50

greyhawk50 Well-Known Member

^ ^ I agree. ^ ^
    Sounds like a very good deal to me.
    Very nice rifle. Don't sell yourself short.

8. Kentucky_Transplant

Thanks for the comments. Here is the finished product. I know some folks say it takes away to refinish stocks and such but I think this one needed it. I also sanded the edges of the white trim pieces and lightly buffed the metal with steel wool. I think it turned out a lot better than before & can't wait to pop some shells in it!

Attached Files:

9. FOUR4D4

FOUR4D4 Moderator Moderator

I like that I doubt ill be able to find a good price like you. I always get ripped off and end up paying up the ying yang.:mad:

10. Hyphenated

Turned out great...I like it. Sanding the white trim really makes them pop. Very nice.

11. Speed_Shooter

Speed_Shooter Member

The biggest problem I see are the SEE-THRU MOUNTS! :confused: The gun is nice, but you need to get those mounts off and mount that scope low over the bore. No see-thrus on lever guns!

12. Kentucky_Transplant

These mounts were on it when purchased. I only swapped out the scope for now.

13. Kentucky_Transplant

Naw this one is a keeper...........................................well at least for now!

Kelly
    Henderson, Kentucky

14. 28Shooter

28Shooter Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporting

Nice job on that rifle! She cleaned up real nice and looks like a great find.

15. Rooster59

Rooster59 Well-Known Member

Beautiful rifle after you finished with it. Refinishing is a no-no only if it is some high value gun. This is a shooter that you just want to look great. And it does.

I suppose this is a rifle from when Mossberg was making lever actions previously? I thought they only just started making lever guns.

16. Kentucky_Transplant

Thanks Guys! Hopefully next week I'll get to pop some shells!

17. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Lifetime Supporting

Turned out REAL NICE !!

good job...!!

18. duster066

duster066 Well-Known Member Supporting

I've wanted to refinish my 65 Win 94. But every time I think to do it it's field worn look over comes my desires for it to look new. I've toted it around for 25 years or so, and it kind of feels like it's supposed to look beat up. I do throw some cold blue at the receiver when needed and wax it up real good, but only because in this rain it rusts fast if I don't. Your Mossberg looks great. It kind of makes me want to do the Win, but I bet I wont.;)

19. Kentucky_Transplant

Thanks for the comments guys! Duster, as always, it's a matter of preference. I bought mine with the intention of a refinish. I had no emotional attachment. I just wanted it slick since it was pretty abused. I haven't even decided if I will keep it or not? I'm not much of a hunter, I just like to take an afternoon & pop some shells at the range.

Kelly
    Henderson, KY