My First Lever Gun

Discussion in 'Lever Action' started by biker911, Mar 21, 2012.

1. biker911

biker911 New Member

I have a Marlin 336 RC in 30/30 .I found out it was made in 1966. The stock has cracked pretty bad and as I look for a Pistol grip walnut checkered replacement I dont know if it has crossbolt safety? Can someone give me some advice. I'm looking on e-bay and some of the sets (stock & forend) go for about $275 is that about right? The forend uses a barrel band.

2. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Lifetime Supporting

Welcome to the Marlin Firearms Forum biker911 !!

Do I even need to ask what you ride...?

3. biker911

biker911 New Member

1978 HD Low Rider

4. axxe55

axxe55 Well-Known Member

that price seems way inflated. check out Brownell's and MidwayUSA as both of them have stocks way cheaper. Brownell's has the the buttstock and forearm for less than $80 for the set and factory Marlin buttstock for $79.73 and the forearm for $32.85 OEM walnut and checkered, ready to install. even the Marlin OEM stuff is less than half that $275 price. Brownell's is good place to buy gun parts from and the service is great and shipping is fast.

5. greyhawk50

greyhawk50 Well-Known Member

biker911;
    Welcome to the forum.

6. Shooter

Shooter Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Welcome to the forum!

7. 28Shooter

28Shooter Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporting

Welcome aboard Biker! My first lever gun was a '73-made Model 94 Winchester. I remember well telling my father why I thought a Marlin 1894 in .44 Magnum would make a better deer gun than the Winnie. Woke up Christmas morning and got the Winchester. Still have the gun more out of respect for dad than satisfaction with the product.

8. biker911

biker911 New Member

Thank you for the welcome

Thank you all. .My next gig for my 30/30 is to reload some rounds. I currently reload 45ACP. and I would like to branch out.

9. axxe55

axxe55 Well-Known Member

sorry bout that! welcome to the forum! the 30-30 is very easy to reload and an excellent one to branch out with. i reload for mine. anytime i add a new caliber to the collection, i now add reloading dies!

10. FOUR4D4

FOUR4D4 Moderator Moderator

Welcome to the Marlin Firearms Forum

11. Rooster59

Rooster59 Well-Known Member

I don't know if you got your other question answered. From the date of manufacture I would say your rifle doesn't have the cross bolt safety. If it does you would have a button in the receiver just below the hammer that can be pushed back and forth, left to right, that activates a hammer block type safety.

Welcome to Marlin Forum and the brotherhood of lever action owners. Enjoy!

12. Plumber

Plumber Well-Known Member

Cross bolt safety first appeared in 1983. Serial number starting with 17.