My shooting sport is changing (IDPA)

Discussion in 'General Chit-Chat' started by MattNH, Sep 29, 2015.

1. MattNH

MattNH Well-Known Member

The IDPA BoD announced a change in the scoring for points down. The IDPA target has a -0, -1 and -3 scoring area with a miss being -5. Currently, a penalty of 0.5 seconds for each point down is added to the raw time with other penalties (hit on non-threat, failure to neutralize or procedural). The new scoring will change the penalty for each point down to 1 second.

I like it!

The classification levels are novice, marksman, sharpshooter, expert and master. I have heard it described as:

novice - new shooter
    marksman - accurate but slow
    sharpshooter - fast but inaccurate
    expert - fast and accurate
    master - fast and accurate on every shot

I am a solid marksman and acknowledge I am slow, but I've always been happy with my accuracy. This will boost me up the finishing order.

There is no definite timetable and I would hope they can use the existing classifier data to come up with new overall time ranges for the classes.

So big changes for next year. I'm switching from SSP (service stock pistol) to REV-S (stock revolver) and hopefully scoring that rewards accuracy a little more.

PS: Can we have a competition sub-forum?

Matt

2. greyhawk50

greyhawk50 Well-Known Member

Nothing wrong with being a marksman. As long as you enjoy what you're doing and continue to improve at a pace that suits you needs.
    I enjoy reading your post and look forward to following your progress.
    Best of all is knowing that it's a family activity.

3. SWO1

SWO1 Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporting

Marksman is great ....Accurate but Slow. Only takes ONE well placed shot. I know IDPA is lots of fun but how many running gun battles will you expect to encounter ? You are honing a valuable skill at your pace.

Faster will come with time and LOTS OF PRACTICE ..... :) Dont sacrifice accuracy for speed. Wild Bill Hickock wasnt the fastest but when he got off a shot you were toast.

Good luck in the sport. Continue the reports on your son and yourself.