Name your most used powder

Discussion in 'Ammo & Reloading' started by FOUR4D4, May 23, 2012.

1. FOUR4D4

FOUR4D4 Moderator Moderator

I'm looking at different loads for my lever guns and i have IMR 4198 smokeless powder.Is there that one powder that you find most usefull for all your loads and calibers? excuse my grammar but its dinner time :D

2. axxe55

axxe55 Well-Known Member

i use a lot of IMR4350 as it's a very versatile powder for a broad range of calibers. i also like IMR4895 and IMR4064 as they also work in a broad range. i just recently added IMR4831 but haven't used it yet, so i can't comment on it yet. hopefully within the next couple of weeks i will put some loads together and give my opinions on it.

3. Hyphenated

Hyphenated Well-Known Member

IMR4198 or H4198 are both excellent powders for lever guns from 30-30 thru 45-70. I also like IMR3031 and RL-7. They both get about the same results, but the RL-7 meters better. When shooting cast boolits in my lever guns I almost always use 2400.

4. squirrelhunter

squirrelhunter Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporting

I use a lot of Vihtavouri N-135.

5. greyhawk50

greyhawk50 Well-Known Member

I only load for 2 Lever Guns.They both like H4895. That keeps my life simple. I really need things simple.
    For 12 ga. shot shells, I use Nitro 100 with a Windjammer Wad. Low chamber pressure (less recoil) and a consistent pattern.
    For my muzzle loader, I use Pyrodex RS or Triple Seven.
    I'm very fond of Hodgdon's Powder.

6. Centaur 1

Centaur 1 Member

I like the way RL-7 works in my 30-30.

7. FOUR4D4

I have everything to start reloading the Marlin except the brass.I have Marlin LEVERevolution brass but some one said I can't reload the brass because of length of brass and head space?:confused:

8. aka

aka Well-Known Member

In case you missed it.

http://www.marlinforum.com/forum/showthread.php?p=4860#post4860

Hyphenated said,

Why the 2400 with cast bullets? I am wanting to to reload both calibers also.

9. FOUR4D4

I have the IMR4198

10. Hyphenated

@ aka...
    I like 2400 for cast boolits because it has a good pressure range, meters well and in some cases you can duplicate factory ballistics. Unique works well on the lower end, but the pressure builds faster and it doesn't meter as well in my RCBS Uniflow.

11. aka

aka Well-Known Member

@ Hyphenated Thanks. I am not a fan of Unique. Metering or flow is one of the issues.

I have experimented with Trailboss and 45-70, 400 grain cast bullets. It works but only for midrange target shooting. One maybe able to build a load suitable for silhouette. I'd rather find something more suitable. Using the Trailboss for what I intended it's use for.

12. Hyphenated

aka...
    I think you would be impressed with how well 2400 works in your 45-70. I use just shy of 23grs with a 405gr cast bullet. This is a mild target load that is enjoyable to shoot. From my 22" barrel it clocks 1250fps. If you needed more speed you could work up to 30grs of 2400 with that same bullet. At that point you will notice the recoil and you would have a good hunting load. I am sure I have mentioned this before..it meters well and is about $5 a pound cheaper than most other suitable powders.

13. aka

aka Well-Known Member

Thanks I will give it a try and see. 1250fps is about what I am looking for.

14. Hyphenated

aka...
    I checked out your blog. Very cool. There in lies the problem. There is so much cool stuff on the net I have had to quit my job to keep up with it all. I now live under a bridge in a cardboard box. Thankfully there is a McDonald's within walking distance so I can eat and use their Wi-Fi.

15. Bob & Wife

Bob & Wife New Member

I am confussed. I just started reloading my 30-30 marlin with H4895 powder and different LEAD bullets 100 grain, 150 grain, and 158 grain, ALL Lead bullets. Can anyone tell me what a good recipe is for these lead bullets. I'll be happy to buy ANY recommended powder. I tried zeroing the rifle at twenty five FEET and was ok. Than put the target out to 50 feet and could NOT even hit the target which was a 2 x 2 foot cardboard. I was using 22 grain and 26 grain. I only target shoot and would like a light recoil. I'm willing to forgo a light recoil for accurace to 75 yards. My e-mail iamgramma@verizon.net Thanks, Bob

16. aka

aka Well-Known Member

Thanks Hyphenated... I think I have everything read on the internet and up springs a cool web forum like this one. Our McDonalds doesn't have WiFi yet, so I am still stealing the internet connection from the cable company. So do all my neighbors here under the bridge.

@Bob & Wife I didn't know they made a 100 graiin .30 cal bullet. I just ordered some 160 grainers. The maker suggested a slow burning powder. Hodgdon website showed using H4198 could get it to around 1650fps. This is what I will start with.

http://data.hodgdon.com/main_menu.asp

17. Hyphenated

Bob & Wife,
    First off welcome to the forum. Shooting cast bullets is a 50/50 mix of science and art. You need some basic cast bullet knowledge and then some practice until it all comes together. I would recommend finding an older Lyman reloading manual or one of their special cast bullet editions.

My first question to you is...are you using plain base or gas checked bullets? If you are using plain base bullets 22 to 26grs of H4895 is probably pushing them too fast. Are you buying your bullets a little over size? For your 30-30 bullets that are .310 are a good place to start. Generally speaking the Marlin micro groove barrels like about .002 over bore for cast bullets.

When shooting 150-160gr plain base cast bullets a good place to start is 8grs of Unique. You can work that up to 10grs until you find the sweet spot for your rifle. If your rifle doesn't like Unique...2400 is another good pistol powder to try. I would stay with 13-14gr of 2400 with plain base bullets. Once you get past that you should think about gas checked bullets. I shoot a G/C 150gr Lee bullet with 16grs of 2400 in several 30-30's with good success. If you want to stay with G/C bullets and add a little more steam RL-7 will take you into hunting load territory. Most of my 30-30's will shoot the Lee 180gr G/C bullet with 20grs of RL-7 with enough accuracy and power to hunt whitetail.

Good luck and enjoy the forum.

18. Bob & Wife

Bob & Wife New Member

tHANKS SO MUCH FOR YOUR HELP, Bob

19. Hyphenated

My pleasure. Shooting cast bullets can be frustrating, but extremely rewarding when it all comes together. It is great when you shoot nice groups with homemade reloads...but it's hard too wipe the smile off your face when you shoot groups like this with bullets you cast yourself. The attached group was fired from a 1957 336A 35Rem at 50yds.

Attached Files:

20. hunter2506

hunter2506 Member

Lil gun, Varget, BL-C2