Need help with feeding issues with the magazine tube in my 1978 1894 in .44 mag

Discussion in 'General Marlin Discussion' started by NEOHunter, Mar 31, 2014.

1. NEOHunter

NEOHunter Member

I picked up the rifle I bought on gunbroker that jammed back from the gunsmith today and put a box of ammo through it. The gunsmith had to machine the new carrier to get it in the rifle, it was not "drop in" for some reason. So that problem is fixed but I ran into a new issue. I had trouble getting the magazine tube to accept the rounds. The follower seemed to get stuck at different intervals accepting different amounts of (factory) rounds each time. The gunsmith noted as did I when I cleaned it after purchase that the magazine tube is really hard to fit back into the receiver. We had to go in through the receiver and apply pressure on the lip of the tube to line up while you pushed the tube into the receiver. My gunsmith doesn't work on a lot of Marlins so he wasn't sure if that is common or if that is an issue I have also. Should it be hard to fit the tube into the receiver and is it possible that it could be causing an issue. Could the tube have been bent or bulged for some reason. I see Brownells sells the tubes fairly cheap but my model is a 1978 and I wonder if the tube brownells sells will fit it. Thanks for the help with this rifle I wish I would have never bought off gunbroker. The rifle did shoot well otherwise and I would really like it if I could get it functioning properly.

Sent from my iPhone using Marlin Forum

2. Snubshooter

Snubshooter New Member

Is it an 1894P? My 1894P had several parts(screws, plates) that were not compatible with the standard size 1894. That is one possible problem. I would find a local SASS match and talk to one of the gunsmiths that are about to do on the spot repairs. The P version has factory magnaports and is 16".

3. Hillbilly

Hillbilly Well-Known Member

Marlin Firearms does work on older Marlins as well as make new ones
    I believe they will work on any Marlin that was manufactured post 1950 something
    I know that they won't work on the 1950s and back models
    Their shop time and parts didn't seem extremely high when I talked to them not too long ago
    They work on these all the time and so I would think that they would give you the best chance at fixing this problem They know the ins and outs of these guns and I would think that they would stand behind the repair
    You may have to wait a while in getting it back though
    I'm talking like three to four weeks but it might be worth the wait and money if they can make her run flawlessly
    Either that or sell it and cut your losses
    Are you satisfied with everything else about the gun I.E. fit and finish accuracy?
    Are you totally in Love with it or could you live without it?
    If you Love it then I would invest in fixing it if not I would probably sell it cut my losses now and try again on another one
    Maybe try talking with the guy on Gun Broker that sold it to you about some remediation for your trouble since he sold you the gun. Did it have trouble from the begining?
    If so I would contact the seller and let him know they do have a review and rating system for sellers on GB you know you could post a complaint if he doesn't want to make it right
    That should get you some response

Sent from my iPhone using Marlin Forumrr rruygopgyrutiin boho ipook

4. NEOHunter

NEOHunter Member

I actually already had the rifle fixed and sold it because even though it seemed to function better I was never going to trust it since I had so much trouble with it. Under the advise of my gunsmith I cut my loses and sold it. I did get the seller to pay for some of the repairs but I couldn't get him to take the firearm as a return. I was so frustrated with the situation I wanted to be done with it so I ended it and sold it. I do hope at some point to get another one and I hope to have better luck.

5. Hillbilly

Hillbilly Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear you had so much trouble with it but glad to hear that you got it all worked out
    I want a Marlin 1894 chambered in 44 mag
    Probably going to buy new
    Either that or buy a Henry big boy 44 mag

Sent from my iPhone using Marlin Forumrr rruygopgyrutiin boho ipook